Mk1 MR2 vs Everything else.....

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jrleech

The final test....

Post by jrleech »

Just got back from my final test drive... a Vauxhall VXR220 (the 220 bhp turbo version).

This and the Elise are the final two cars that stand between the Mk1 as being (in my opinion) the most fun car available.

The VXR220 is FAST, very fast. I think the spec says 4.2s for the 0-60 and it feels it. There is turbo lag, but not too much. The one I drove was on Yoko cut road slicks and gripped very well, the steering was precise and the brakes had loads of feedback.

It copes very well with strange cambered corners and certainly goes round the corner better than any MR2 ever could, but it's still not as fun as the Mk1 MR2. I'm not sure what it is, the Mk1 still has more feedback through the wheel and still feels more like a go-cart.

IMO, the VX220 is probably better with the NA engine, the turbo lump is too powerfull for delicate mid bend power feeding, but it's a nice car.

But, I'd still choose the Mk1, and that's ignoring the VX220's lack of space, room, comforts, getting in and out! etc...

I can't be bothered to test drive the Elise now, as it'll be very similar to the VX220, so for me at least, the Mk1 is the best car in the world :)

..... now I can start the project car with a clear head. Brakes and power can be improved upon easily, and handling can be tweaked more still, so it'll be back in progress soon! Latest plan is a Celica 190bhp VVti engine transplant.....
MegatronUK

Re: Mk1 MR2 vs Everything else.....

Post by MegatronUK »

Aw, come off it... you know you really want to build a mk1.5 .....

:wink:
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Sorry... nope. I seem to have developed a real dislike for turbo's now, and the new Celica 2ZZGE engine is more powerful and lighter than a 3S-GE, so it's the best option for me. 190bhp standard, less the Cat and a plus a few tweaks should easily see 200bhp+ and it'll weigh roughly the same as the 4AGE and fit in 'quite' easily. Plus I can probably use the 6 speed gearbox..

It seems like a more sensible aproach than the 200bhp NA 4AGE solution, which will cost more, break sooner, and be less drivable.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the mk1.5 .... it's just not for me.

:tongue:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jrleech wrote:Sorry... nope. I seem to have developed a real dislike for turbo's now, and the new Celica 2ZZGE engine is more powerful and lighter than a 3S-GE, so it's the best option for me. 190bhp standard, less the Cat and a plus a few tweaks should easily see 200bhp+ and it'll weigh roughly the same as the 4AGE and fit in 'quite' easily. Plus I can probably use the 6 speed gearbox..

It seems like a more sensible aproach than the 200bhp NA 4AGE solution, which will cost more, break sooner, and be less drivable.

Have to say i agree, now i've done the forced induction thing for a few years i'm a little bit bored of it. In fact i'm really enjoying my NA and find i'm not missing having 70bhp less. Mind you that may be different when i get it out on track, but i'd rather have a screamer of an NA than a slug of turbo torque. I don't know what it is but it just feels a bit more involving with the NA.
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

jrleech wrote:Sorry... nope. I seem to have developed a real dislike for turbo's now, and the new Celica 2ZZGE engine is more powerful and lighter than a 3S-GE, so it's the best option for me. 190bhp standard

Wow you change your mind a lot! 2ZZ sounds good, but it does have problems. Firstly the ratios on the box are such that going up from certain gears drops you out of the VVTL range.

Also there is a known problem with the engines VVTL system. Can't remember exactly what it is but it's something to do with the VVTL engagement device breaking prematurely!

Do a bit of Googling on the engine before you commit!
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Thanks for the tip... I'll certainly check everything out before I finally commit to an engine!

Cheers,
Jon
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Lauren wrote:
jrleech wrote:Sorry... nope. I seem to have developed a real dislike for turbo's now, and the new Celica 2ZZGE engine is more powerful and lighter than a 3S-GE, so it's the best option for me. 190bhp standard, less the Cat and a plus a few tweaks should easily see 200bhp+ and it'll weigh roughly the same as the 4AGE and fit in 'quite' easily. Plus I can probably use the 6 speed gearbox..

Have to say i agree, now i've done the forced induction thing for a few years i'm a little bit bored of it. In fact i'm really enjoying my NA and find i'm not missing having 70bhp less. Mind you that may be different when i get it out on track, but i'd rather have a screamer of an NA than a slug of turbo torque. I don't know what it is but it just feels a bit more involving with the NA.

Hehehe :D

I just find turbo motors much nicer to live with for everyday driving... theres that nice wodge of mid range thump that you don't get with a high revving motor like the VTEC, Toyota VVT etc.. Perhaps that just me though; even though I've got 320bhp or so under my right foot, I don't tend to drive particulary fast... maybe thats just the car more than me?

That said... I definitely find a non-turbo motor much more engaging as a toy or track day plaything, so I can certainly appreciate your p.o.v .... wringing its neck to get the last few ponies down the straight, and instant power with no lag when you press the loud pedal coming out of a corner and slide the back end around. Great fun.

Return to “Driving Experiences”