Passive or Active speaker set up?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve Flynn

Passive or Active speaker set up?

Post by Steve Flynn »

How can you tell if the factory speaker set up is an active or passive one? I want to change the standard head unit and cd player in a GT tubby, to an after-market one, but don't fancy popping the amps. Cheers
chriswsw20

Re: Passive or Active speaker set up?

Post by chriswsw20 »

mnie is active and i have a sub behind the passenger seat. Have a look behind the seat and if there is a speaker grill there then it is active (i think) by the way iso connectors for new stereo are £30 for active :shock:
Matt

Post by Matt »

chriswsw20 wrote:mnie is active and i have a sub behind the passenger seat. Have a look behind the seat and if there is a speaker grill there then it is active (i think) by the way iso connectors for new stereo are £30 for active :shock:

Might be wrong but wouldnt you have a sub behind both the seats for an active system? I have factory fitted subs behind both.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Not for all years...

Some years got one.... some got two

Basically, if you have at least one... it's the active system

Mixed Blessing... You get a Sub, and amps that are probably worse than those built into a modern headunit... Plus you get the hassle of alternator noise problems with most aftermarket headunits when trying to use the stock amps...

Bypass the Toyota system I say, and save a lot of hassle.

Paul
motep

Post by motep »

I have the 8 speaker 'active' system in mine. :shock:
When I changed the std Head Unit and CD changer for an Alpine MP3 I used the £30 active connector. I was going to bypass the amp and buy new component speakers but I was quite surprised at how good it sounded so I haven't bothered. \:D/
Maybe a job for the future!
Matt

Post by Matt »

motep wrote:I have the 8 speaker 'active' system in mine. :shock:
When I changed the std Head Unit and CD changer for an Alpine MP3 I used the £30 active connector. I was going to bypass the amp and buy new component speakers but I was quite surprised at how good it sounded so I haven't bothered. \:D/
Maybe a job for the future!

I was suprised how good the standard '8' set up was once I replaced the head unit! Plenty good enough for me. :)
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

except jap N/A doesnt have any system in them,(in rev3) I have 4 speaker...

well. all the better to have me own set up :mrgreen:
Steve Flynn

Post by Steve Flynn »

Cheers guys. It had an active system. 2 subs behind the seats. Got the correct harness and it works great. Quite a good sound. =D>

Return to “ICE and Security”