MR2 Owns Integra

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great driving
6%
Just having a laugh
56%
Stupid
19%
So idiotic I want to hit you with a big stick
19%

Total votes: 16

Cerocer

MR2 Owns Integra

Post by Cerocer »

I had a very satisfying moment on the M27 today... found a nice Honda Integra cruising on my ass, giving me the entirely wrong impression he wanted me to step aside... So, been such a polite and considerate road user, I did.. THen blew his doors off !!! I was chuffed to notice he had changed up a gear as we accelerated, while i remained in good ole cruisin 5th at 80mph.. and he still didn't get ahead, but the instant he changed gear I noticed how nice the front of the Integras actually look, when in your rear view mirror :wink:
Had a nice little run, all in good fun for a while before traffic interviened.. but one note, he had the perfect plate on anIntegra.. V***TEC, respect for that and the friendy wave...

did i mention i love my mr2... :lol:
lower

Re: MR2 Owns Integra

Post by lower »

this is the problem with VTEC. if you are in the right gear and the right revs you can really fly. if you are in the wrong gear you get blown away.

the civic type r's are better with there I-Vtec, but you certainly can't sit in top gear at 80 and expect to blow everything on the road away.
craig

Post by craig »

hehe nice one matey! :twisted:

Like said above you have to really rag the VTEC to the top end of the revs for the most power! :roll:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedMR² wrote:hehe nice one matey! :twisted:

Like said above you have to really rag the VTEC to the top end of the revs for the most power! :roll:

You got to love that VTEC though. I have never been so impressed by an engine than when i went in an ITR round Elv a few years back. The way it zings round to 9K revs is simply amazing. Handling was to die for and i can't believe i'm saying this as its a FWD car. The IVTEC of the Civic has lost that zingyness IMO.
karammander

Post by karammander »

i heard somewhere that the civic type r ivtec system has tweo settings? iw as told this buy a mate whos a salesman for honda. civics that came with a red engine cover had the noticable kick up the ar$e at around 6k and others with black covers had a more conservative graduale increase in the valve opening.

just something i heard.

cheers karam
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Never been a real fan of the VTEC engine for the way it drives... but you have to be impressed with the build quality and engineering of those units. I think I'm right in saying that there has never been a failure of a VTEC lump due to manufacturing faults?
Porl\'\'

Post by Porl\'\' »

sorry for sounding really dumb, but is the VTEC honda's version of the 4AGE kinda thing? im only thinking this cus someone mentioned the valves opening which kinda sounded like the valve intake on the 4AGE.. like you have to get it in a certain rev range for the ass whupping to happen? :)

Porl''
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Porl'' wrote:sorry for sounding really dumb, but is the VTEC honda's version of the 4AGE kinda thing? im only thinking this cus someone mentioned the valves opening which kinda sounded like the valve intake on the 4AGE.. like you have to get it in a certain rev range for the ass whupping to happen? :)

Porl''

Not really, the honda has an extra cam lobe which is high lift and much more aggressive than the mild cam lobes either side of it. Basically when it is running out of VTEC, it uses the regular cam lobes operating the valves through rockers. When the engine gets to a set rpm it locks the rocker arms so that now the high lift cam lobe is operating the rockers instead. This gives the best of both worlds as it makes the engine nice and tractable in normal driving, but when you boot it it effectively switches to race type cams (that probably wouldn't even idle) to help top end breathing.

Its a much more sophisticated setup than simply closing off 8 of the inlet valves at lower rpms to help low down torque, which is what the TVIS does.
r.dawson

Post by r.dawson »

but you have to be impressed with the build quality and engineering of those units. I think I'm right in saying that there has never been a failure of a VTEC lump due to manufacturing faults?

over 1mil sold and not one taken back. they can be hard to drive however as when it dropps out of vtec the pick up is poor, on the crx it is anyway.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

r.dawson wrote:
but you have to be impressed with the build quality and engineering of those units. I think I'm right in saying that there has never been a failure of a VTEC lump due to manufacturing faults?

over 1mil sold and not one taken back. they can be hard to drive however as when it dropps out of vtec the pick up is poor, on the crx it is anyway.

the newer I-VTEC is said to be much better and is less of a marked transition between being on VTEC and off. i've never driven a honda with the I-VTEC engine, only lotus elises fitted with them, which are completely mental!
Nick

Post by Nick »

The i-VTEC system incorporates a variable length inlet manifold (short at high RPM, long at low RPM) to increase low down torque, so this leads to a less pronounced transition to VTEC.
DoM

Post by DoM »

After buying my first MR2 I swore I'd never buy a FWD car again. Then I had a very fast lap around the Nurburgring in an Integra and it blew me away - The engine/brakes/handling were all amazing. Last week I purchased one!

It’s not as quick as a tubby, but then it has only got normally aspirated 1.8! Acceleration is poor until you hit 6k rpm and the race cams kick in, then all hell brakes loose - there’s nothing subtle about it, it’s a proper kick! It makes the nicest noise of any 4 cylinder I’ve been in and the brakes are truely immense.. Can’t wait to take it on track and find out how she handles!
EarL

Post by EarL »

I'm looking for one now. Can't wait to have a Type R for a second car. :twisted:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
fizz

Post by fizz »

DoM wrote:After buying my first MR2 I swore I'd never buy a FWD car again. Then I had a very fast lap around the Nurburgring in an Integra and it blew me away - The engine/brakes/handling were all amazing. Last week I purchased one!

It’s not as quick as a tubby, but then it has only got normally aspirated 1.8! Acceleration is poor until you hit 6k rpm and the race cams kick in, then all hell brakes loose - there’s nothing subtle about it, it’s a proper kick! It makes the nicest noise of any 4 cylinder I’ve been in and the brakes are truely immense.. Can’t wait to take it on track and find out how she handles!

You lucky son of a mum!.. I really want one.. cant believe they are more expensive to insure compared to the tubby!.. ](*,) ](*,) :(

Return to “Driving Experiences”