mrkII speakers

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

prezjamin

mrkII speakers

Post by prezjamin »

Again not a problem for you vets to answer, my front left (door) speaker has blown, so i am going to replace my door speakers, anyone got any suggestions of good components to get ? I just have the standard setup at the moment, minus the sub and amp, which have been removed by a previous owner.

Plus has anyone got any links to good guides on how to get at the speakers/remove them, I have heard that they are a little tricky, especially the tweeters.
Jay

Re: mrkII speakers

Post by Jay »

I have put Pioneer speakers in my '2. You have to watch the depth cause most bigger sizes wont fit in the hole

17cm or 6 1/2 " fit fine for the front

i got mine from here

http://www.cel-direct.com/speaker.asp?s_size=17cmcoax

quite cheap

Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

Oh i forgot to add a link to how to take out your door speakers, :P
i had a bit of trouble with mine lots of searching on the net and i found this

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Door% ... el_PG1.htm

I have a rev 3 and its exactly the same, just do what it says on the tin and you will have no probs.

Jay
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

that's a mighty fine how to! not too sure about the red leather trim though...

As for components, I went for Infinity 16.5 CS, which were expensive at £150, but fitted well. Massive improvement on stock speakers, but that was with head unit upgrade too, so the improvement could have been the head unit...

Most car mags (or Max Power / Revs even!) will have pages full of ICE dealers selling component speakers.

The only thing I have to add to the how-to is removing the stock tweeter was a complete git.

It's screwed onto a bracket from the rear. The bracket is held in by two of the wing mirror screws. The wing mirror screws absolutely refused to unscrew, but decided to round instead. I had to drill them out in the end.

If you can get the front wing mirror screw undone, just bend the bracket out 90 degrees to undo the tweeter screw - save yourself the hassle of touching the other 2 screws when you don't need to.

HTH

Ian
prezjamin

Post by prezjamin »

Cheers guys
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Just out of interest which is the tweeter screw? There are three, and they like to round off!!
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Right,
I just did this procedure in my Mk2 Rev 2 Turbo and here are some pointers and things that I found:

I installed a set of Infinity 60.5cs kappa’s using the stock locations

For the tweeter: unclip the pod that covers them from the top with a flat bladed screwdriver.
I used a pocket butane soldering iron torch thing to heat up the screws (remove the foam under the tweeter first unless you like the smell of burning plastic)
Once the screws are good and hot (take your time heating them up takes a min or two) get a really good fitting Philips head screwdriver (I used a no. 2 Snap-on) and with a helper applying pressure to the outside of the door (to keep tension from the door mechanism) lean on the screw driver and slowly twist them out.
They REALLY don't like coming out but with enough heat and patience they will (I promise)

The screws are in a pattern like a triangle and the two that need to come out are the topmost and the one that is closest to the back of the car (on both sides)
Once the screws are out the tweeter bracket will fall into your hand!
On the back of the bracket is a lone screw that holds the tweeter in it is adhered in but with a good screwdriver, the adhesive will snap right off.

I used the infinity tweeter cups to mount the tweeters and then put it all back together.

For the mid drivers:

I used both the thicker plastic adapter AND one of the thin metal adapters to mount the speakers. I had problems getting the basket into the factory opening and would rather hack up a set of adapters than the car.

Once all was mounted (including the crossover), I found that the door card would not quite fit with the new speakers in place.

Using a Dremel tool and a rough sanding drum, I trimmed the plastic ring behind the factory grill to clear the baskets of the Infinity's

Button it all up and enjoy your new sound!

Oh yeah rather than hack the factory wires I hacked the plugs off the dead OE speakers and soldered wires to them to run to the crossover then if I need to replace the speakers again to OEM I can just plug them back in!

Mike
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thanks for your reply, thats just what i wanted to hear!
I have a soldering iron butane torch thingy, but was unsure to use the blow-torch tip, or solder tip, and didnt want to melt the seals close by!
I cant seem to find a screwdriver anywhere in my house which will fit right, they seem to be a shallow but wide screws...hmm!!
Thanks again, im sure ill succeed next time!!
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Just to clarify, I used the blow torch adapter but mine only has a tiny jet, about the same size as a pen tip, so it actualy only heated up the screws!

mike
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Ahh thanks mike, mines about 7mm, i migh leave the solder end on and touch it one the screw for a while!
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

I thought I'd ctry this out first before I bought any speakers, did all of it fine except for when I got to actually taking the speaker out! I undid the three out ring screws but it was all tightly stuck in! What should I be doing????

Also, am I right in saying 17cm speakers will fit into the same spot, so long as they're no ldeeper than 5cm?

So close.... yet so far!

Further more, the little speakers to the left and right just behind the seats... are they 9cm speakers (which could be upgraded)?

Cheers, Josh
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Its dead easy...youve done the hard bit....now just slip a flat blade screwdriver under the ring....and it just lifts off. Its a pretty weak glue, and shouldnt prove too difficult!

I fitted focal 165s in mine, had to make an mdf 18mm spacer ring, and trim some of the door card, but fits great and sounds fantastic!
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

I just found I couldn't get any leverage under the ring near the glue or foam stuff.... not without pushing the flatblade into the metal and scratching it or worse....

Must say, wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be tho I did 1) break one of the clips on the tweeter cover 2) crack the door handle insert cover, though I think this happened because the plastic is so old... only noticed it when I came to put it back on!

PS Focals?? U sir, have expensive taste! :P
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Yes....i accidentaly bought them.....was on ebay.....and clicked on the "by now" option by mistake!! Eek, expensive yes!!!

Erm....you wont scratch the paintwork, just put a piece of masking tape over the paint work....not that you will see it anyway?

Or....you can try the way i did it with the first speaker.......undo the 6 screws on the speaker holding it to the metal bracket....think thats what i did anyways....i remember pulling the metal bracket out the first time
SwissHeavy

Cheers buddy!

Post by SwissHeavy »

Cheers! U were right, just slowly prized it of bit by bit with some british persuasion! In the end tho the speakers I got,... G Force 50watt RMS don't fit in flush... damn it, and the ICE ppl are already fitting 6x9's behind the seats for me so I'm going to get them to do the door speakers as well whilst I'm at it... and get this! I found I already have a Toyota sub fitted but it wasn't connected, but I've now opted for the two 6x9's! How funny is that! So may get a little money from that on eBay.

Cheers for the help ppl, this was a totally invaluable thread!!!!!

Thank god for IMOC.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Not a problem!!

I hope youre happy with the sound.....,mines only been in a week, and they are gonna come out again, as im......selling the car :o
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

that was meant to be :(

Return to “ICE and Security”