Weird electrical problems - multiple requests!!!!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[OCUK]Kitchster_uk

Weird electrical problems - multiple requests!!!!

Post by [OCUK]Kitchster_uk »

Right, I've been sent over here because apparently this is a very knowlegable forum as well as there being a few North East lads around. here goes.

History. Bought my '2 a fwe weeks back, a 1992 J reg in black, UK car. It didn't have a stereo and the wires wre a bit butchered but Halfords offered to hard wire it when they installed the CD I bought off them.

Well, they couldn't hard-wire anything and as a result blew a fuse that left me with no rear lights. Anyway....

Got a local mechanic to fit it and it works, other than he couldn't work out the electric aeriel. Any hep with diagrams/what he should do to get it working?

Secondly, my engine fan doesn't kick in all the time now and often displays the warning light on the dash. Connected to this fault, I suspect, when I first start it, the battery meter quite quickly gets itself up to the top. When it gets warm or uses the fan, it seems to lose charge. The connections to altentor and battery are fine and the alt puts out a steady 14v, 13.5v under full load.

Finally, I got no reverse lights now.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I am more than happy to let someone have a look at it (if that's what they do) for suitable remuneration as I want it to work!!!

Cheers
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Weird electrical problems - multiple requests!!!!

Post by BenF »

[OCUK]Kitchster_uk wrote:Right, I've been sent over here because apparently this is a very knowlegable forum as well as there being a few North East lads around. here goes.

History. Bought my '2 a fwe weeks back, a 1992 J reg in black, UK car. It didn't have a stereo and the wires wre a bit butchered but Halfords offered to hard wire it when they installed the CD I bought off them.

Well, they couldn't hard-wire anything and as a result blew a fuse that left me with no rear lights. Anyway....

Got a local mechanic to fit it and it works, other than he couldn't work out the electric aeriel. Any hep with diagrams/what he should do to get it working?

Yep, see http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t ... reo_wiring

When I installed the stereo on my Rev2 you actually have to bridge two wires and supply +12 to each for the aerial to lift.

Secondly, my engine fan doesn't kick in all the time now and often displays the warning light on the dash. Connected to this fault, I suspect, when I first start it, the battery meter quite quickly gets itself up to the top. When it gets warm or uses the fan, it seems to lose charge. The connections to altentor and battery are fine and the alt puts out a steady 14v, 13.5v under full load.

I'm not sure about the warning light - you checked the ECU for error codes?

Its normal for the voltage to dip a little when you're using electrical appliances that use a fair bit of current (eg Headlamps, fan, heated rear windscreen) but its probably worth checking all the grounding straps and points are tight and clear from corrosion.

Finally, I got no reverse lights now.

Check the fuses - on the Turbo the connector on the reverse switch on the top of the gearbox can corrode and break off - you just need to replace the switch. Fairly easy to do given a large spanner etc.
Last edited by BenF on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjcymru

Re: Weird electrical problems - multiple requests!!!!

Post by jjcymru »

had the same problem with mine.. bridged the two wires for the leccy aerial to the wire on the stereo harness.. check the colours on the wires going to the leccy aerial in the boot under the carpet.

Return to “Electrical”