Mk1 for sale

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gordy

Mk1 for sale

Post by Gordy »

Mk1 for sale

I bought my 'C' registration MR2 (Mk1a, naturally aspirated, sunroof model) in mid 2005 and have covered about 24,000 miles over about a year. I have been contemplating a restoration, but time and money are against me, so she's now up for sale.

She needs some attention so is priced accordingly. I don't yet have a digital camera, so here is a fair and accurate description:

The engine is very good. It starts first time every time, and has very good oil pressure. It has had a new head gasket and exhaust gasket during my ownership. I believe that the cam belt was changed at 90,000 miles but I can not prove it. The engine is standard. The air filter system is standard and I think the exhaust is standard too. The exhaust is in good condition. The TVIS kicks in at about 4200 rpm, which I understand is correct.

The interior is original (black with red inserts in the seats), completely standard and very fine for the year. It valets very well indeed. The sun-roof blind is still there, as is the original stereo.

The body is 97% good. Some work was done professionally previous to my ownership, but I don't have the paperwork with me so am unsure how much. The arches are fine and the sills and underside look fine as far as I can see. There is some surface rust around the front bumper and in the door shut faces, and a touch around the windscreen. There is rust on the rear left bottom of the bumper and a fist sized hole on the rear bottom right hand side of the bumper. However most of the body is rust-free.

Four of the wheels are the multi-hole design and the fifth is a triangle design. They need refurbishing. The tyres need replacing.

The front brakes are fine and have a lot of life left in them. The rear right brake calliper is seized.

The clutch works fine but has no travel and no feel at all, and I suggest that a new unit is advisable. The clutch master cylinder dribbles ( - I understand that Toyota sell a replacement seal kit for this).

The gearbox is generally good; it selects all gears well and is not noisy, but ( - as you might expect) it jumps out of fifth gear on application of load.

The paintwork is red…well, it used to be, and it needs a re-spray.

The suspension works fine. The steering feels good, but something is a tad bent underneath at the front after a spin into the kerb (and hence the steering wheel is a little off-centre).

The windscreen has two long hair-line cracks.

The tax and MOT have just expired.

All of the closures (boot, engine lid, doors, and front compartment) open and close properly indicating no misalignment.

All of the electrical systems work as they should. The battery and alternator are fine.

The engine cooling system, the fuel system, the handbrake and the cabin heating system are all good.

The odometer shows 128,000 miles (not that it matters much with a 21 year old car).

The car has no after-market modifications.

So, in a nut-shell, although the car needs work the engine and interior are very good for the age of vehicle, and the body needs a lot less work than most of this age. This car did me proud for 24,000 miles and has a heart of gold. If you are interested in a restoration or project car (maybe a track car or a Mk1.5 conversion) then this could be the car for you. If it was broken for spare parts I guess that it could easily liberate over £600, but I just don't have the inclination.

I'm not into haggling, so the price is £300 straight, with no offers.

The car is in Norwich. The battery is charged so the engine can be started, so if you would like a look please e-mail me at [email protected] and we can arrange a visit at the weekend. Having just moved into a new home I do not have weekend internet access so please mail before mid-day on Friday.

Take care,
Gordon

Return to “MR2s for Sale”