trackday prep questions..Now with PICS

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trd2000mr2

trackday prep questions..Now with PICS

Post by trd2000mr2 »

hi all,

Gonna go on my first track day tomorrow at Brands Hatch with the MRC boys. A few questions pls..and hopefully some quick answers!

They recommend bringing extra oil, is this necessary for my na? I dont fancy going out of my way today to fork out if i dont need it.

Do i have to tell my insurance compnay im going? apparently u can get trackday cover for £50? Is this true?

Ive just had a recent full service but are there any other issues that i should be aware of?

Cheers in advance
Last edited by trd2000mr2 on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPON

Re: trackday prep questions..Now with PICS

Post by RichardPON »

Okay, here goes.

The idea of taking extra oil is two fold.

One, you'll find that you want to top it up right on the max to help to prevent any surge issues you might encounter with a low oil level.

You'll also find you may burn a little off during the course of the day. However, it's not strictly necessary as long as you're all topped up and ready to go. I just always carry anyway..

Check all the usual stuff - obvious though it may seem, check everything over and you'll feel much more confident and secure about your vehicle, plus it's just common sense!

Check the tyre pressures, and make sure all the wheel nuts are correctly torqued (you'd be surprised how many people don't check!).

Top up all fluids, inc water, PAS, and brake fluid.

Remove any crap from the boot and passenger area - I did hear of one guy getting a bottle of mineral water jammed under a brake pedal for god's sake!

Make sure you have all your documents (driving licence, indemnity form etc) and fill the forms out before you go to save any hassle/worry. Don't forget your crash helmet! Take a confortable jumper, as some trackday organisers insist on covered arms at all times, even though you may get hot in the car.

Re: insurance, that depends on what you want to do.......

Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask if you don't know something. That's what the organisers are there for. Leave the "I've got to be the fastest" trackday warrior attitude at home. Take advice from those that know, and you'll find you'll enjoy the day so much more.

Lastly..... have fun! Brands is a cracking circuit 8)
BenF
Premium Member

Re: trackday prep questions

Post by BenF »

trd2000mr2 wrote:hi all,

Gonna go on my first track day tomorrow at Brands Hatch with the MRC boys. A few questions pls..and hopefully some quick answers!

They recommend bringing extra oil, is this necessary for my na? I dont fancy going out of my way today to fork out if i dont need it.

Do i have to tell my insurance compnay im going? apparently u can get trackday cover for £50? Is this true?

Ive just had a recent full service but are there any other issues that i should be aware of?

Cheers in advance

<Just moving this to Motorsport for a better reponse>

MRC - Mazda Rotary Club ?

Oil - yes, definitely and I'd take some coolant as well too just in case.
Make sure your oil level is topped up to the max, and check it again at lunchtime. On track, as the engine is at high revs constantly, its normal for there to be some used.

I'd also check your brake fluid level (when was it last changed?) and the brake pads - check the inside pads as they wear most rapidly.

Insurance - no you don't have to tell them, but equally you're not covered on track. The IMOC trackdays are run with Bookatrack has they have excelletn marshalling and rules to ensure no car to car contact.

As for trackday cover for £50 - LoL! Maybe with a 10K excess on a 14k car. When I asked for cover for my Roadster a year ago after I got it, trackday cover basically was £150 with a 2,500 excess.

I didn't bother, as I couldn't see any car to scenery accidents costing more than that to fix.

Best advice is to ensure you drive at all times well within your limits. Look where the dangerous corners are where you can come off and hit something, and drive those cautiously. Push harder on corners with good runoff and play with the balance of the car ...
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

thanks for the replies guys! :thumright: some realli good advice

ill have to buy some oil tomorow then...Anyone know what the retail is on a container of engine oil by any chance??

Ive got all the servicey parts changed not so long ago so im not worried abt that. My brake fluid however wasnt looked at. How easy is it to check? Theyre not going to fail on me are they? how long should i let the brakes cool after a run?

Apart from that, coolant in the boot, tools, spare wheel, all sorted....good to go! Cant wait!

And yeh, trackdays with the mazda boys...my friends rx7 is in the garage...RX7 typical :lol: so hes given me his ticket! im looking forward to getting smoked by those sexy 7's!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

trd2000mr2 wrote:thanks for the replies guys! :thumright: some realli good advice

ill have to buy some oil tomorow then...Anyone know what the retail is on a container of engine oil by any chance??

Ive got all the servicey parts changed not so long ago so im not worried abt that. My brake fluid however wasnt looked at. How easy is it to check? Theyre not going to fail on me are they? how long should i let the brakes cool after a run?

Apart from that, coolant in the boot, tools, spare wheel, all sorted....good to go! Cant wait!

And yeh, trackdays with the mazda boys...my friends rx7 is in the garage...RX7 typical :lol: so hes given me his ticket! im looking forward to getting smoked by those sexy 7's!

Just do a cool-down lap before you pit. Don't use the brakes for the cool down, but keep a reasonable speed, obviously short shift and make sure you get good airflow.

Easiest way is simply to take 10mph off your normal track speed as you shouldn't need the brakes at all then.

If your brake fluid is old, i'd change it tbh.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

.. and I forgot to say, leave the handbrake off in the pitlane, but leave it in gear or woth the wheels turned etc, but I suppose that's a bit late now!
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

Thanks for the advice guys.. It turned out to be a great trackday and i have learned such a great deal about my car now. It was a shame that it was pouring down with rain but looking on the bright side, Ive gotta say that im a lot more confident driving my car in the wet now!

I had a nasty spin on the Druids bend and slid right into the gravel pit, my undertray bent right out of place and a whole load of gravel is still there! Ive tried to get rid of a lot of it but looks like im gonna have to take it off completely to clean out..dagnamit! It was definitely an experience to rememeber and learn from, esp that feeling of sliding out of control!

I would definitely recommend for any novice to go on trackdays, esp with their expert tuition (excellent drivers, they made big horsepower rx7s move out the way for our lil' megane!) Time to save up for more trackdays! :twisted:

Anyway, here are some of the pics, will upload more when i get them

trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

Has anyone heard of the Pistonheads trackday where its around 300 (usually 1000) for a whole days racing tutorial with an instructor beside u? Imagine how good you'll be afterwards!? Even after 25mins instruction, i was a completely different driver!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

trd2000mr2 wrote:Has anyone heard of the Pistonheads trackday where its around 300 (usually 1000) for a whole days racing tutorial with an instructor beside u? Imagine how good you'll be afterwards!? Even after 25mins instruction, i was a completely different driver!

Yep, instruction is definately a good thing. While most instructors will make a big improvement to most peoples' driving (to begin with), i'd say pay a fair price rather than looking for the cheapest instruction deals. If you pay peanuts....

Also its good to start with basics then go out on track for a few hours, to practice, then bag another session later in the day.

Also learn to heel and toe and steer properly on the road, so that when you are next out on track you already have these things sorted.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”