Harness

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Harness

Post by jonb- »

After picking a harness and am a bit boggled by the sheer amount of choice.

I figure any 5 point that i like the look of (or would you recommend a 4?) will do as long as i can afford it?

Got my eye on one of these...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... e=SSP40022

Opinions?
skinthespin

Re: Harness

Post by skinthespin »

ooooo, swanky!

A 5 point would be better than a 4 as to reduce the risk of submarining in an accident? also its worth noting that the twist off type releases are not road legal I dont think, only the car buckle type, although im sure any MOT tester wont pick you up on this, and if you do you can always pop the standard belt back in for MOT time.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

It has a carbon fibre buckle... i'm not obsessed honest :)

I bought a CF bucket seat last night so i'll be paying you a visit soon simon!
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

also its worth noting that the twist off type releases are not road legal I dont think,

I definately think this is a grey area (as they are safe if they're done up properly and I asked my MOT'er friend and he said he wouldn't fail the car with the buckle release but only if the harness was removable (ie clipped in not bolted in)
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I agree Dave, if its safe its safe, I think the problem is if you crash and your trapped in your car and the services or whoever cant get you out cos they don't know how to work the buckle, either way im sure you will be ok come MOT time, you gotta be a bit of an a**e of a tester to fail you on that!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Decent harness... nice to see someone actually buying a decent one rather than the mickey mouse ones from ebay.

5 point is a good option, i went for 6, though some guys complained that it was uncomfortable (obviously not a problem for me).

Its so much better having the crutch strap because it stops the lap belts lifting up when you tighten the shoulder straps and obviously prevents submarining.

I had a 6-point with quick release buckle in my SC...

It passed the MOT fine with this in, i guess it depends slightly on the MOT tester (they are clip on harnesses in mine with eyebolts). But i could have easily reinstalled the OEM seat belt if needed.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Thanks people, i think i'll go for that schroth belt - no point scrimping on the belt as the last thing you want is to be thrown about if you roll.

Now i just need to work out the best way to mount the seat at the belt to the mk2.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I'll come down soon mate, we can work it out! NP!
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Either that or i'll come up. Just got to get the carpet out first and buy some brackets from demon tweaks along with the harness.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”