Dash problem

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

eddthompson

Dash problem

Post by eddthompson »

The 7.5 dash fuse in the foot well keeps blowing as soon as you turn the ignition on.

This seems to knock out:
the dash(no lights, no rpm, no temp, fuel guage works not checked the speedo)

the heating (no lights)

The electric windows (although the locking still works and the power mirrors)

I though at first it was the power steering sensor, as when the car had an after market wheel fitted it looks to have been a bit of a bodge, but that didnt solve it.

Any ideas where to look, im running out of ideas, and 7.5amp fuses.

edd
JJ

Re: Dash problem

Post by JJ »

Sure its not supposed to be a 15 amp fuse ???

try one and if it blows, then you definitely have a short... if it doesn't blow, then its just the current its drawing blowing it ( too small a fuse !)

You not fitted a stereo lately with a naked live wire ??

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
eddthompson

Post by eddthompson »

It has a stereo fitted (with amp) but its been in there a while, suppose i could just disconnect it, hadnt gotten that far.

The prolem came after i had a new clutch fitted after the car being off the road for sveral months. I took it for a very quick spin and when i got back the needles ont he dash went crazy and the engine rpm wobbled a bit, the alarm chriped weirdly and the lights flashed for a few seconds. then the whole thing went dead.

It had blown the 120 amp fuse in the front of the car, and the dash one.

Replace the front fuse, the car now starts no problem, not nothing fromt he dash.

edd
JJ

Post by JJ »

came after i had a new clutch fitted after the car being off the road for sveral months

This is starting to come together.... theres the main earth strap attached to the gearbox that then attaches to the chassis... if this if not connected properly... turn your ignition on and try and start your car and the gauges start to go daft.... as theres a reverse polarity of the electricity running towards the gauge cluster.

"It had blown the 120 amp fuse in the front of the car"

Hells bells, might be related to the alternator messing up whilst its been stood ??? has it been sat ouside in the rain ??

You can strap a new earth to the engine to the chassis from either one of the start motor bolts or one of the distributer bolts ... then replace the fuse in the kick panel and try that... that way, the engine is getting an earth and fingers crossed the current doesn't come back over.... unless its done some damage already.

hth :)
eddthompson

Post by eddthompson »

Ill try the earth strap. The gauges do nothing now at all, the fuse blows in an instant.

yes it had been out in the rain, poor car, bit of a long story realy, i used the mr2 as my only car, but due to a trapped nerve i cant clutch with out severe pain, so i bought a mondeo auto, so the car has been sat for proably 6 months.

Im hoping to get it fixed to either sell or keep for sundays when my back isnt to bad.

What i dont under stand is why the car behaved and drove just fine for 20 odd miles, and when i pull into the drive the electrics fail, just typical.

edd
eddthompson

Post by eddthompson »

slight update.

I tried the ground lead, disconnected the stereo and the electric windows.
Only to find the battery had gone flat over night (i had kept it disconnected previosly)

Tried a 15 amp fuse and pop.

Obviously a ground fault :(

Any tips to find what circuit its on? the wireing is a complete mess undernieth the dash, wired by a monkey loads of electrical tape, loads of strange junctions, i have no idea what its supposed to look like :(

edd
JJ

Post by JJ »

You've definitely got a short there feller.... !!

wired by a monkey loads of electrical tape, loads of strange junctions, i have no idea what its supposed to look like

best thing to do is unravell all the mess under your dash .... check that all wires are connected and not touching each other, ensure no bare wires earthing somewhere bolted to the chassis.

Try to work out what the wires do too !!

Difficult to see whats wrong without looking at it !

:)

Return to “Electrical”