Ultimate trackday alloy

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Ultimate trackday alloy

Post by jonb- »

Just wondering what peoples opinions were on trackday wheels. At the moment i used a set of stock but i can't help but feel a set of lightweight 16s might work better. Also with stock your limited on tyre sizes and choices.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

And yes, i posted it in here to avoid all the usual crap you get from the road going racers.

Stock wheels are quite light as it is so i'm wondering how much weight saving there is in a set of lightweight 16s.
Rogue

Re: Ultimate trackday alloy

Post by Rogue »

I really (REALLY) rate the Buddy Club P1 racing wheels that I have fitted to my race car. They're only 15" rims, but they're an inch wider than stock and have a more aggressive offset to suit. They make excellent track wheels, and I'll be really disappointed when I take them off the car for this season's racing.

Rogue
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Thanks Pat, that means a lot coming from you. If anyone knows about tracking an NA it has to be you ;)

So, going to sell them once they're off? :)

Edit: http://www.srbpower.com/buddyclub/p1-racing-sf.php

Edit 2: No where seems to sell the wider widths :(
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Yeah Pat where did you sorce the Buddy Club wheels from? I'd be interested in a set.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

These may be nice for the MK1. V.lightweight 4.9kg. :mrgreen:

http://www.rarerims.co.uk/alloys.php?pr ... tartrow=16

I'm getting the 16" black with pollised rims (but not for track)
15" may be better for that

I love some of the buddyclub wheels, but the ones i wanted only came in 17"'s :roll:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I lucked out - they arrived on a car that we bought to strip for parts! I hadn't seen the car before it arrived either, so I was really pleased to find them on there.

I'm going to paint a set of rev 5 rims white for this year, but I just don't think they'll look quite as good. The P1 rims gave the illusion of being bigger than they are:

They will be for sale once I've sorted out the wheels and tyres to replace them.

Rogue
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

So out of interest what are peoples prefered sizes? I figure i'd go for 16s as it's getting difficult to get good tyres sizes in 15s or maybe even 17s if i could find a light enough wheel. I'll have adjustable camber etc so i'll be able to play with everything.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Jon, I used a set of 16" 'Modena' style rims on my Rev2 for trackdays with cheap Hankook tyres on. I can't say they really appeared to be lightweight though (!)

The difference was a little more steering 'weight' than the 15" rims, which is no bad thing. The car was still progressive enough to slide around, but in the wet there was very little feedback.

I'd still aim to keep that two sizes different front/rear - if you go to three, you'll find the car understeering much more.
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

I've just switched from my 17" with 215 and 235 EagleF1's, to my standard 14" 195 and 205 (not totally sure on tyre make) and the ride is totally different. One extreme to another :lol:

With the 17" wheels the grip was massive, but felt a little hard to drive. didn't feel very 'nimble'. With the 14's back on its really light and nimble but sooooo easy to loose traction.

Would like to try a set of 15's and some 16's sometime if I can get my hands on some.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”