FOCAL 165

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hurstie1981

FOCAL 165

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Just ordered myself a pair of the above speakers.

Just wondering what mods do i need to make to fit them in? Do i need a spacer or are they a straight fit?

Can i run them directly from my head unit using the orignal cables?

Thanks

Hursty
rev3turbo

Re: FOCAL 165

Post by rev3turbo »

hi m8

u need mdf rings just fitted the same to mine, if i remember 18mm deep will do with a little trimming to the door card as well, but they fit nice n sound wicked, i have mine running off the head unit at pres, easy install with tweeters n crossovers provided...

hope this helps,, if u need pics just ask n i'll take some for you on a dry day

cheers Mo
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Some pics would be great thanks!
Are they spacers easy to make?
I take it ill need to borrow a jigsaw off someone!!!
Jayng

Focals

Post by Jayng »

You talking about the yellow coned Focals??? I can't remember the code on mine.... but they will fit with mods mentioned already by "Rev3"
The magnet on the focals are huge ;-) and there is no way around it except for spacers..

You will need a jigsaw for the spacer rings, a drill to make a hole for the jigsaw blade (inner circle of spacer) and a stanley knife to trim the doorcard.

Try and cut the spacer ring flush (same diameter as the speaker) as this will save you having to sand down the spacer later when you put the doorcard back on.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thanks for your help!
Yep, they are they yellow coned speakers, and ive heard they are superb!
Ive seen a jigsaw in asda for a tenner, its cheap and cheerful but should do the trick!

What part of the door card will i ned to trim? Is it a major job? I could use my dremel if possible!

Dont like cutting things unless i have to, previsou bad experience!!!

Thanks

Gra
Jayng

Post by Jayng »

Hey Hurstie

Had them fitted to my old deceased tubby. Had a Soundstream amp powering them Focals... sounded lovely but needed to upgrade the headunit to get the sound perfect.

Anyways, cant argue with a tenner for a jigsaw ;-)

I had to cut away behind the speaker grille part of the door card. You'll get the idea when you place the speaker cone first into the space behind the grille. Can't explain where exactly but you'll get the picture when you get the speaker and doorcard together.

remember to take it slowly with that dremel!! I prefer the stanley knife!! Can imagine you sneezing whilst using that dremel ;-)

ARRhhcchooo....didn't notice that hole earlier??
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thanks for your help chaps!

Just a couple of quicks ones, as im planning on doing it on saturday (eather permissing)!

Wheres the best place to put the crossovers, and the other question, do the tweeters replace the old ones easily, i.e are they easy to fit/remove?

Thanks

Gra
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

hi m8

i put the crossovers in the kinda armrest of the door card behind the window switches, when u get the card off you'll know what i mean.. :lol:

as for the tweeters, i removed the stock ones and placed the focals in the triangle shaped covers, bit of hot glue gun action n they are in tight, still looks totally standard,

i was planning posting pics for ya but wasn't doin them till sat!!! and since ur doing the install on saturday it's not gonna be much use, but PM me with ur email/phone number if u want n if u get stuck i can take pics, email them direct to you on saturday or whenever, cos i'm having a full weekend on the tubby (also weather permitting)

Happy Installing!! :D :D
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thanks again!

Well ive got quite a bit on on saturday, so its gonna be either sat or sunday!
If you do get chance to take a pic, i would be very grateful!
Im an ice-novice!!

Thanks

Graham

p.s. letd hope for good weather!
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Alright Hurstie,

are you replacing the factory tweeter too? ( I guess so, as your focals have got cross-overs).

Getting this out can be a bit of a sod. As no-one's mentioned it already I hope you don't mind me sharing my experience from the other week:

the tweeter needs to be uncrewed from its bracket from behind. The tweeter bracket has 2 screws holding it it - these 2 screws also hold on the wing mirror, along with a 3rd screw.

These screws are glued in - and a git to get out. Mine all rounded, so I had to drill them out - a big hassle.

Solution 1 - only undo the screw nearest the windscreen. If you can get this out, you can bend the bracket out 90 degrees to unscrew the tweeter, screw your new one in, and bent it back.

this mens you only have to deal with 1 screw, not all of them.

Solution 2 - only heard this the other day - heat up the screw to about 60 degrees, as apparently this melts the glue. Not sure how to do this in practice though. Hot air gun? g/f's hair dryer?

Solution 3 - get a decent screw driver and put loads of pressure on it when turning. Cheap screwdrivers bu88er screws up in no time.

As for wiring - I used the the standard feed from the loom into the door, but then cut the connection to go into the crossover. I then used new wiring to go to the woofer and tweeter, but routed it through the existing rubber sleveeves after removing factory wiring.

Cross over location - I couldn't fit mine in the arm rest of the door card, but I was fitting Infinity 6.5cs, which might have a larger X-over.

I used some double-sided sticky pads and stuck it about half way up the innerside of the door, next to the door hinges - I had to peel back the plastic membrane to do this. Keeps it out of the way, and close to where the wiring comes in too.

Hope this helps. Hope it works out OK this weekend.
Ian
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thanks for your detailed help ian!

Im sure ill need every bit of help this weekend! Ill go armed with everything, hairdryer, screwdriver, dremel, the lot!!
I have to make some spacers first, so first things first eh!

Thanks for all the advice!

Ill let you know how i get on!!

Graham
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Cut the spacers out the other day, and had a go at fitting the speakers today!
Got cut short cos of having to do other bits and bobs, but the mid cones went in no probs, but just wondering where to channel the wires through, and where to mount the crossovers. The tweeters are a right b***ard to get off, and i dont want to round the heads on the screws....any ideas?

Oh the other thing, which is the positive feed, the pink wire, or the purple???

Return to “ICE and Security”