Intercooler Fan

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hippy

Intercooler Fan

Post by Hippy »

Can anyone tell me how to check the engine bay temp sensor,
Because my fan isnt coming on even when just sat in my driveway
Fan works pefectly when you disconnect sensor...
KyzarVS

Re: Intercooler Fan

Post by KyzarVS »

If you short the two wires going into the sensor, that is meant to make the fan come on (I THINK).

Does the fan come on with just the ignition? For example if you go on a run to get the engine hot and then stop, kill the engine and then turn the ignition back on (so the dash lights are on), does the fan then come in as normal? This is what mine does at the moment and I think that there is a short somewhere in the loom that passes under the intake manifold - at least I've checked everywhere else - also my traction control packed up at the same time as this fan problem, so I'm presuming it's a short between the TC and fan wires.

Engine bay fan kit & manual switch is my remedy - the IC fan comes on too late anyway IMO.

Joe
mikerj

Post by mikerj »

KyzarVS wrote:
Does the fan come on with just the ignition? For example if you go on a run to get the engine hot and then stop, kill the engine and then turn the ignition back on (so the dash lights are on), does the fan then come in as normal?

That is exactly what mine does. If you have just the ignition switched on and dunk the end of the sensor into a cup of hot water the fan operates perfectly. If you start the engine it no longer works (the light comes on). There is nothing in the wiring diagram that suggests any dependancy on engine operation so I suspect it may be a grounding problem. The diagram shows the fan is grounded on the inlet manifold. I've already had one of the alternator wires that runs under the manifold break and had to run another wire to fuse box, looks like this could be a simmilar problem.
ANDY FINDLAY

Post by ANDY FINDLAY »

disconect you sensor mate and the i/c fan will run all the time i had the same prob with that engine warning light 8)

Return to “Electrical”