Mk1 In Car footage from Donington

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

Re: Mk1 In Car footage from Donington

Post by BenF »

DoM wrote:Nice Vids Ben.

I'm sure it's to do with me being in the car! Those gravel traps work bloody well though!

Dom

Heh heh heh - the question is, would you ever get back in a car with me again now ;)
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Cheers Dave, good advice. I'll see if I can find some combination of seat / backrest that allows me to cross my arms comfortably - at the moment, my arms are fairly much out at full stretch which isn't comfortable.

.... sounds like you've driven a fair bit on track yourself ...?

Yeah that'd be the best thing to do, as its up to comfort at the end of the day - the more relaxed you are in the car the faster you will be able to go!

Yeah I have done loads of track racing, not in a MR2 though, but Mid engined RWD single seaters - Formula Ford, Formula Renault, Formula Palmer Audi, want to get a drive in a F3 car but looking for more drives when and where available really.

If you're ever at a track and I'm about just give me a shout if you need any advice etc. I'll do my best to help you out
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Hmm, there's some nice machinery in there. Just out of curiousity, which one did you enjoy driving the most?

I'm looking to book up a few more trackdays from March onwards - mostly in the East (Snetterton) and Midlands - if you're around it would be great to get some feedback from you.
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Well tell you what, when you go to Snet, let me know I'll come along! I know that track like the back of my hand. Was racing with a team who were based there, so all my testing (Apart from race weekends) was pretty much there - 9am - whenever it gets dark and an hour for lunch! how ever many laps that is I don't know! but its a lot of track time! (definatley worth the 1k price tag)

For cars that were fun to drive, I enjoyed the Formula Palmer Audi the most, mainly because I'm a turbo charger fan! But when the 2 bar boost kicks in immediately in each gear it just keeps going and going until you hammer the brakes for the following corner. Luckily the wings don't work all that well, so it allows you to 4 wheel drift the car like a Formula Ford.

The Formula Renault was definately good fun, very quick, liked the idea of having a sequential shift. And the amount of grip that you can generate from going faster into the corners is incredible, definately need a few more test days to get the most out of the car.

Formula Fords, definately very good to learn in, pretty unforgiving on the limit as I found out a few times. Also the competition is very fierce, although Renault definately have the harshest competition since 1.5s covers the whole grid (near enough). The formula fords require more smoothness, as they don't like to be thrown about, you can set up some good 4 wheel drifts at say the 1st corner at snetterton (until you try too hard and have to be towed out of the farmers field)
DoM

Post by DoM »

BenF wrote:

Heh heh heh - the question is, would you ever get back in a car with me again now ;)

Yeah, somewhere with lots of run-off though!! :P

The question is, would you have me as a passenger again! I think I'm cursed! :twisted:
Harry

super

Post by Harry »

great video... :mrgreen: =D>

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”