Mk1 Headlight Fixings

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Alistair

Mk1 Headlight Fixings

Post by Alistair »

Hi
Quick question for anyone that has changed a Mk1's headlight bulb before:

I have taken off the black "hood" that surrounds the glass and have found the other 4 screws underneath. Unfortunately these are fairly corroded although after clean with a small wire brush and wd40 I thought I could make out a square socket in each of them. Now, I have never seen a bolt that required a square ended allen/screwdriver on any car. Is this really what I need or do you know that actually its a phillips and someone has just butchered them last time they had to come out?

A bit of pain the ar$e exercise to just change a light bulb :roll:

Any help appreciated
disco stu k

bulb change

Post by disco stu k »

The easyest way i`ve found is taking the light cover off, the body coloured bit! 4 star drive screws i think, then direct access to the back of the light. hope that helps

stu :lol:
Alistair

Re: Mk1 Headlight Fixings

Post by Alistair »

Ah right , thanks.

I think I remember seeing two screws close together near the bottom of the black trim at the either side of the light. Are these the ones you're talking about?
disco stu k

bulb cx

Post by disco stu k »

no, 4 large screws on the sides, have got a start drive head. they release the top cover, the little ones at the bottom i think are the adjusters.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Something worth remembering here is that if you have an early car you can't simply undo the bolts and take the light cover off you'll have to remove the headlight fixing screws in the front.

If they are too corroded, drill off the heads and simply use new screws its pretty easy to find something that fits ok.

if later car then like the others said taking off the light covers is by far the easiest way.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thanks for your help, I gained access by removing the top cover. Don't know why the manual doesnt advise this as its way easier than trying to take the front out (even if the bolts weren't all corroded!).

Return to “Electrical”