What engine oil in your mega miles Tubby?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

What engine oil in your mega miles Tubby?

Post by Mike »

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, and I realise that over the years there have been many posts on engine oil but I specifically want to talk about higher mileage engines.
I drove my MR2 yesterday for the first time in a while and checking the oil it's looking pretty dark. Now as my car has done almost 150,000 miles I always used to go for a thick oil that I thought was good for an older engine; specifically Mobil 1 15w50 motorsport formula. I'm not sure that oil is still sold and to be fair I reckon it's probably too thick anyway. So what are you using in you high mileage Tubby?
Hez

Re: What engine oil in your mega miles Tubby?

Post by Hez »

Judge the car on how much oil it burns and don't overthink it. Just stick with a good quality synthetic 10w40 or thereabouts. If it starts using a lot of oil then I would probably start thinking about using a thicker oil, only if I didn't plan on rebuilding it or I was going to sell it.
Race Idiot

Re: What engine oil in your mega miles Tubby?

Post by Race Idiot »

Yeah I mean if it's not burning loads of oil through normal use and theres not something obviously wrong like valve seals or the turbo causing it then maybe.

My old motor had around 150,000 miles and the only time it burned oil was when I used it on track and also when the turbo seals failed.

I just use whatever decent ester synthetic I can get my hands on and changed it around every 3000/5000 miles

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”