unstable rear end

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: unstable rear end

Post by Ryan S »

right. Checked over everything. Had the alignment done. car still feels wobbly round bends. Away to fit coilovers. My suspension is ancient. I feel like the shocks are gone after putting 3k miles on it. Away to plump for the meister R CRD ones. Spoke to a couple of members with them saying they have transformed the car. The most annoying thing about the whole saga is that i'm fairly sure I want to sell it next summer (i'm hoping the suspension refresh will change my mind) so I'm doing all this work for somebody else to end up enjoying. If I was 25 years old the harshness would have never bothered me. :cry:
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:right. Checked over everything. Had the alignment done. car still feels wobbly round bends. Away to fit coilovers. My suspension is ancient. I feel like the shocks are gone after putting 3k miles on it. Away to plump for the meister R CRD ones. Spoke to a couple of members with them saying they have transformed the car. The most annoying thing about the whole saga is that i'm fairly sure I want to sell it next summer (i'm hoping the suspension refresh will change my mind) so I'm doing all this work for somebody else to end up enjoying. If I was 25 years old the harshness would have never bothered me. :cry:

You mentioned that your rear outer tie rod bearing has been changed, but has it been changed to a bearing or to a bush?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

it was the driveshaft bearing i changed bud not the tie rod. I am gonna do the tie rod bearings as soon as possible along with polybushes front and rear.
The plan was to do it all at the same time but it's just not turned out that way :(
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:it was the driveshaft bearing i changed bud not the tie rod. I am gonna do the tie rod bearings as soon as possible along with polybushes front and rear.
The plan was to do it all at the same time but it's just not turned out that way :(

Gotcha
If there is no play on them and the boots are still good you might leave them.
Either way, if you change them, only go with spherical bearings, not with any sort of bush. They would hurt handling
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thanks bud. I'll make sure to use spherical bearings!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So got my coilovers on. What a difference!! They still need alignment and camber done but Gmac on here is doing that tomorrow. My wheel wobble at 70mph is completely gone as well. The old suspension looked absolutely rotten. So glad I made the decision to go coilover! I would say they about as firm as stock at the moment but I've not touched the dampening. Think I'm gonna soften it up tomorrow. I do still want to polybush it but for now it is a vast improvement!
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:So got my coilovers on. What a difference!! They still need alignment and camber done but Gmac on here is doing that tomorrow. My wheel wobble at 70mph is completely gone as well. The old suspension looked absolutely rotten. So glad I made the decision to go coilover! I would say they about as firm as stock at the moment but I've not touched the dampening. Think I'm gonna soften it up tomorrow. I do still want to polybush it but for now it is a vast improvement!

Great to hear mate!
Agree, coilovers all the way. I have them on my 2 for 8 years. D2 is my choice.
Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Looking forward to getting it set up properly tomorrow. Car is still firm but feels fantastic. Rough roads were the absolute worst driving experience for me but even they are fine now. So happy with these :)

Can't really comment on handling yet as it's been p1$$ing of rain and still need to get alignment done but drivability has greatly improved! Might just end up hanging onto it for a while now ha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Well coilovers on and aligment done. What a maaaaassive difference it has made. Car feels totally planted now! Very pleased with the results.
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Glad everything feels more planted and tighter :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

gmac90 wrote:Glad everything feels more planted and tighter :thumleft:

Feels great now bud, Thanks again for today!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

great news!! hope your enjoying the car, just in time for winter
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I know gutting :(
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Sounds like your dampers were knackered then. Have you still got the old units? A test (if you want to find out) would be to remove the top mount and spring and compress the damper. I've seen sets so far gone that they do not rebound without assistance!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Na i binned them. They looked ruined. Topmounts were in a real state!

Having had a bit more time behind the wheel i still have a bit of nervousness at the rear. The roads are fozen up here at the moment so maybe it's just that. I'm gonna do the bushes and tie rod bearings asap anyway.
steven63

bushes

Post by steven63 »

Ryan S wrote:Na i binned them. They looked ruined. Topmounts were in a real state!

Having had a bit more time behind the wheel i still have a bit of nervousness at the rear. The roads are fozen up here at the moment so maybe it's just that. I'm gonna do the bushes and tie rod bearings asap anyway.
Might have been better doing the bushes/tie-rods first as you will have to have the wheel alignment redone after renewing those items
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah you're probably right but my shocks were desperately needing replaced. The guy who's doing the bushes also has the alignment equipment thankfully :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

right, so car feels great even on rough roads but my handling problem is still there. I think i have knackered front wheel bearing as there's play on the front drivers side wheel. I still have a very nervous feeling at the back and under hard acceleration (25+psi) the car veers quite wildy to the right. Next on my to do list is the tie rod bearings as mentioned and the bushes. Having given the car a bit of a rock it is very wobbly on those tyres so i've a feeling that is playing a much bigger part in this than I first thought.
hojoos

Post by hojoos »

Just for input. I'm not running my brace and I havnt experienced this.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”