Looking to buy an MR2 turbo

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Benny J

Looking to buy an MR2 turbo

Post by Benny J »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have been wanting an MR2 for about 5 years now and have never been able to afford the insurance until now. I'm keen to get one imported in but have never driven a turbo one, or even been in it.

I'm in a situation now where I can buy a fast second car and am currently looking at GT4s, MR2s and JDM Blobeye STI widetracks.

I drove an STI and was impressed, it handled really well and went like stink but I'd very much like a comparison to the MR2. I know the STI is an incredibly capable car but it didn't feel as special as it's performance would suggest.

I have driven an NA MR2 and loved the interior and the look but wanted more from the car. Would anyone be kind enough to take me out in one, even as a passenger? I live in the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire area and am happy to travel if needed

Thanks for reading!
jon

Re: Looking to buy an MR2 turbo

Post by jon »

Benny J wrote:

I have driven an NA MR2 and loved the interior and the look but wanted more from the car. Would anyone be kind enough to take me out in one, even as a passenger? I live in the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire area and am happy to travel if needed

I live just north of Cambridge, happy to take you out as a passenger if you like.

Cheers,
Jon
Benny J

Post by Benny J »

jon wrote:
Benny J wrote:

I live just north of Cambridge, happy to take you out as a passenger if you like.

Cheers,
Jon

I'd very much appreciate it if you could, where abouts roughly?

Thanks again!
jon

Post by jon »

Benny J wrote:
I'd very much appreciate it if you could, where abouts roughly?

Waterbeach.
Benny J

Post by Benny J »

I never managed to get a passenger ride, is anyone still happy to take me out?

I can buy one now but am waiting until I at least sit in one before I pull the trigger
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Benny J wrote:I never managed to get a passenger ride, is anyone still happy to take me out?

I can buy one now but am waiting until I at least sit in one before I pull the trigger

have you got a shortlist of the ones you're interested in?
If you do, and you pop the adverts or details on here I'm sure there will be some useful feedback on them.......
Benny J

Post by Benny J »

muckyman wrote:
Benny J wrote:I never managed to get a passenger ride, is anyone still happy to take me out?

have you got a shortlist of the ones you're interested in?
If you do, and you pop the adverts or details on here I'm sure there will be some useful feedback on them.......

I haven't found any in the UK I'm after but am talking with a company about getting one imported for me. Specifically tin tops in Californian blue or white.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

go for a rev3 onwards bud. About 300bhp with bolt ons. It's a very different car from anything with 4 seats. Turbo right behind your head. It sounds great. There's nothing quite like an mr2. I've had just about every jap car you can think of as well a 490bhp 335i. Nothing compares to driving an mr2. Let's face it, what other mid engined 300bhp car can you get for the same money? Not a lot. They are stupidly reliable as well. T-bar in the summer is a great experience, especially through tunnels :D
Benny J

Post by Benny J »

Ryan S wrote:go for a rev3 onwards bud. About 300bhp with bolt ons. It's a very different car from anything with 4 seats. Turbo right behind your head. It sounds great. There's nothing quite like an mr2. I've had just about every jap car you can think of as well a 490bhp 335i. Nothing compares to driving an mr2. Let's face it, what other mid engined 300bhp car can you get for the same money? Not a lot. They are stupidly reliable as well. T-bar in the summer is a great experience, especially through tunnels :D

I'm looking at a rev 3 in blue or rev 5 in white. I'm not really into the T-tops so I'm gunna go for a tin top. I daily an FN2 civic and have a mk1 mx5 as a second car so I'm looking at another honda to replace my civic, turbo/super charging the Mazda or replacing it with a MR2. Never driven a mid engined car though so a little worried
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nothing launches quite like an mr2 bud haha! Hopefully you get a test drive before you commit to one.
Benny J

Post by Benny J »

I hope so too but it's getting a bit late in the year and I think most people will be putting them away for winter now, plus they're few and far between as it is!
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Ryan S wrote:go for a rev3 onwards bud. About 300bhp with bolt ons. It's a very different car from anything with 4 seats. Turbo right behind your head. It sounds great. There's nothing quite like an mr2. I've had just about every jap car you can think of as well a 490bhp 335i. Nothing compares to driving an mr2. Let's face it, what other mid engined 300bhp car can you get for the same money? Not a lot. They are stupidly reliable as well. T-bar in the summer is a great experience, especially through tunnels :D

Nailed it.

Return to “Driving Experiences”