The Grey Phoenix..Summer update

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: The Grey Phoenix..Summer update

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah deffo will be, Cheers dude...I'll get my graph up at the first opportunity :)

Only difference i can see on specs is mine has the bigger exhaust wheel. I don't know if the EFR range have the extended tip, I can only assume so as it's their flagship models!
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Do they have the same wheel materials?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I assume so but don't actually know. Mine is a billet wheel. I assume the EFR is too.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

How are you getting such high numbers and low boost compared to mine? :cry:

Congraz btw :oldtongue:

I'm on a 2 litres with a gen 2 3076r and i get 430 at 1.9bar with wmi
6.3ar.

I see no downside to your setup, it even spools pretty well.

Spill :lol:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

There's something bothering me with this map, please dont think it a slap down but rather just asking to make sure nothing is untoward.

A mapped ct20b running circa 1.2-1.3 bar is more powerful than your 5s build up to about 6000 where the new turbo beats it.

Actually, the ct20b is ahead until over 5k. Given a 5s should spool quicker and new gen turbos there's something that just isn't right here. Is it a small exhaust housing on yours?

Seems a huge build for 1500rpm of extra gain.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Thanks for the imput :thumleft: But I did watch it get mapped.. This build isn't finished and wasn't for max bhp it was built purely for good reliable build... The turbo does have a small housing as I wanted it keep it close to stock....

CT20b makes 270whp at 7k @1.8 bar mine makes it at 4200ish @1.4bar I can crank the turbo up to 2bar but I don't need it to spool that quick and it would kill me lol I can crank up the boost when I get brave lol

This isn't a final map just one so I get comfortable driving the car again...i will post up a 2bar graph when I feel brave :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Vvvvvrroooom
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

So a little update...

Due to real world driving ( not in a well vented dyno room) or moving I have noticed the my fuel set up get VERY hot... I thought it was heat coming up from the exhaust but after further investigation I have ruled it out!!

So I have done a few bits to try and conquer the problem

I mounted all the parts off the floor on rubber mounts fitted all parts to a 3mm alloy plate with defi gold tape under, fitted a large heat sink, and rubber mounted the cradle

This still gets hot so I am thinking that the filter is causing a restriction and causing heat :-k :-k :-k has any one got experience with hi flow fuel filters and point out a good one?

cheers :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Are you running a through-rail setup?

If so the heat is probably due to the fuel constantly cycling from the swirl pot through the (hot) fuel rail, and back into the swirl pot...your fuel is trying to cool the fuel rail, but the volume in the swirl pot isn't high enough to cope with the heat.

Either switch to a dead head setup, or change the plumbing of your lines so the fuel returns back to the main tank, before being lifted back to the swirl pot- then the larger volume of fuel in the main tank will absorb the heat and you'll see less heat in the swirl pot.

Had the same issue way back when...

Guessing your lifter pump in the tank is running continuously as well (albeit with little head pressure), this is then being cooled by the fuel...but that should be minor compared to heat coming direct from the engine into the fuel rail.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I think your spot on :thumleft:

I am changing the filter as I have no info on it as they no longer sell it so..

I will change the plumbing back to the tank but I will add a fuel cooler to cool it down as much as possible... Winter project getting it ready for next year...
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'd say save your cash- don't bother with a fuel cooler, you don't need it....just adjust your return line and it'll be fine. A fuel cooler is tempting, but in the end it's additional complexity, weight and money- for gains I bet you'd struggle to even measure :thumleft:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

So had a few bits come from Torques Saturday and I think I have sorted the problem

I removed to fuel return from the swirl pot and blanked it

put a T with a one way value (no hot fuel can return back to the swirl pot)

reattached the set up so know the fuel return goes back to the main tank

I let it warm up for over a hour and the setup did get warm but I was low on fuel! so the fuel was warm from the main tank.. I will fill her to the brim and that will cool it right down!!!!

But it is a well deserved beer time....... :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

good work dude. fingers crossed hey :-)
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

So winter has come and the car is off the road so I thought I would deal with the fuel problem properly!!
Done a lot of research in to hot fuel ( friends R32 GTR 1000bhp had a massive fire in the engine bay as the fuel return basically melted the fuel line when he was doing full boost runs on the drag strip ) and the advantages of cold fuel

So got a Derale 18 row Fuel cooler shipped over from the US

Had to find a good place for it as I didn't want it to be close the the hot side of the engine bay, so i used the upper part of the engine bay as I dont use the stock lid any more and could run a 3" duct directly to it

The main body of it was constructed out of steel (was expecting aluminum) so could cause heat soak as it is on the upper part of the engine bay so decided to wrap it in DEFI gold tape to try and help

But due to family commitments I had to pop out and missed my Torques delivery so just have to plumb it all in

:thumleft: :thumleft:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

so had some time to play with the car and done a few bits

mounted my toucan display fitted new leather gear gator and custom gear knob still need some work!!

plumb in the fuel cooler roughly as i need to make some more bits to complete (some more heatsheild/ duct work ) but it works so well no more hot fuel

fits nicely under the lid as well

still go though the car sorting things as it is sworn at the mo ](*,) ](*,)
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Summer Update

Due to 19 I haven't driven the car much as it just wasn't worth it!

But it has been a year and due for a service and Mot so time to get things sorted

Engine bay Pic new fuel cooler in with a inline temp senor run on the E.C.U

After the service a power run to make sure nothing had changed ( 1 more bhp lol )

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFJFDS ... e=youtu.be
After glow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6spRVcrblXo

All a clear bill of health so I decided to go to Tuner Feast at brands

wash wax and done :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Love the car, engine bay is godlike haha. how much does she make?
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Love the car, engine bay is godlike haha. how much does she make?

435@wheels this time :thumleft:

still alot more to do before she is finished ](*,) ](*,)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Did you fit any form of side impact protection behind your doors when you put the fiber glass doors on?
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Did you fit any form of side impact protection behind your doors when you put the fiber glass doors on?

Simple answer no as they don't allow the Toyota original bar to attach... I will be putting in a custom cage next year as I really think it is a worth while addition to a 28 year old car with limited safety standards (and yes I will addressing the front bar at head height issue so I don't have to run a helmet on every day driving)

Hope that helps :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”