[Mk2] [NA] Remote start help

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ElvisRockVinyl

[Mk2] [NA] Remote start help

Post by ElvisRockVinyl »

Hey folks

Need some help, my aftermarket alarm on my 2 has a remote start feature at the moment I've just wired it to unlock and lock car etc but would like to get the remote start up and running,

I've worked out 99% of the wiring but my alarm has a wire labled "check engine" which in the alarm book refers to "check to see if engine has started" and goes on to say can be connected to tacho, oil light or alternator, I thought I would look at the tach first, is the tach the black wire in the engine bay fuse box and the IG- on the grey diagnostic port as they both seem to be linked together when I do a continuity test?

They both seem to read 12v with ignition on and the same when engine started, I would of thought a tach line would read no volts when ignition on but 12v etc when running?, if the alarm sees a 12v at ignition on from the tach then surely it would assume the engines already started and not even fire the starter?
ElvisRockVinyl

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Remote start help

Post by ElvisRockVinyl »

Just an update to this

Used the alternator for signal in the end, didn't want to use the alarms virtual tach mode as it either tends to over crank or not keep the starter on long enough got the alarm to learn a fake tach signal of the alt and all works good

Return to “Electrical”