3SGTE engine rebuild - recommended workshops

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

3SGTE engine rebuild - recommended workshops

Post by SonicSW20 »

Looking for recommendations on a workshop that can remove / rebuild / install a 3SGTE, suspect bottom end failure. Rebuild would be to OEM spec but with forged pistons, nothing crazy. Closer to London / Essex would be preferable, but I will travel for the right service.
Race Idiot

Re: 3SGTE engine rebuild - recommended workshops

Post by Race Idiot »

Drift limits performance did my build, although it wasn't a failure it did need machining etc.

What happened? it was running allright not that long ago?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Race Idiot wrote:Drift limits performance did my build, although it wasn't a failure it did need machining etc.

What happened? it was running allright not that long ago?

Ran out of oil.

I'm sure we talked about it briefly... It has always used a bit of oil and I suspect it has a worn out cyl 3 oil control ring or broken ringland as cyl3 spark plug was dirtier than the rest (to the point of misfire), compression was still 160-170 across the board though. I just checked and topped up every week and thats managed it OK.

Took it out on Saturday, all good (had last checked oil during the week, small top up to full). Started it on Sunday, drove barely a 1/2 a mile down the road and a noise developed. Checked oil, it was a couple mm below minimum. Need to drop the oil this weekend and have a good look / check it all over, but seeing as it was low and there's now a knocking noise, its probably bottom end. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

I've emailed them anyway, see what they're saying. There's possible options for sending the engine away and DIY install, but the logistics are tricky as I don't have my own space for this, and at least if a shop supplies and fits everything if it goes boobs up shortly after it can go straight back and there's no room for any bull$h1t either side for install error / wrong oil / other stuff.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I guess leakdown test is in order. I mean it could just be a very rattly heatshield right??? :pray:

I'd give driftlimits a call instead of e-mailing, if you get hold of Lilly she can talk you through costs for a build or at least get back to you with them.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Would have to be a very big and heavy heatshield to make that noise... Will go through it on the weekend. Can't drive it anywhere as is with the noise its making so will check all the external bits like pulleys / belts, then drop the oil and see what its saying. I'm expecting bits though honestly.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Id recommend predator performance or for a bit more money Rogue.

Predator done the initial rebuild although i had a few problems the engine ran brilliant before i totalled the car.
Rogue also know their stuff if you want a no hassle remedy. The problem being you pay for that sort of service.
luke2152

Post by luke2152 »

I'd be pulling the sump off and checking the bearings before I committed to a full engine out rebuild. You might be able to just replace a couple of main or big end bearings in situ.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

luke2152 wrote:I'd be pulling the sump off and checking the bearings before I committed to a full engine out rebuild. You might be able to just replace a couple of main or big end bearings in situ.

Cyl3 is suspect anyway, seems counter intuitive to take the shortcut route when I know cyl3 has an oil issue.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

done a compression test?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've not touched it yet, but I'm not asking for technical advice here.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I've used Martin Kingston and can't complain about the work or price.

https://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk/
luke2152

Post by luke2152 »

SonicSW20 wrote:
luke2152 wrote:I'd be pulling the sump off and checking the bearings before I committed to a full engine out rebuild. You might be able to just replace a couple of main or big end bearings in situ.

Cyl3 is suspect anyway, seems counter intuitive to take the shortcut route when I know cyl3 has an oil issue.

I've got a full set of good used bearings you can have. Doesn't sound like want to take shortcuts but could be worth a shot for free.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

You're not far from these guys. They built my forged 3sgte motor, and it's been faultless. http://www.scholarengines.co.uk/

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”