[Mk2] [Turbo] Presume this is a capacitor gone? - would it cause these issues

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

killerferret666

[Mk2] [Turbo] Presume this is a capacitor gone? - would it cause these issues

Post by killerferret666 »

As I say Presume this is the Capacitor gone, I think Ive caught it early;
this is a rev3 if there is any difference between them.

symptoms;

* Noticed two small flashes of Engine ECU light
* High idle - Prior to this hunting idle.
* running rich (smells rich)
* Power seems down then back to normal
* Engine light should come on at 50mph+ for me as ABS ecu disconnected - but now doesnt.

I cant see any of the others gone.
To get this repaired anyone got recommendations of who to send it to and the capacitors.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
markstevieandmads

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Presume this is a capacitor gone? - would it cause these issues

Post by markstevieandmads »

looks like you caught it early.
Doesnt look like its caught any tracks from your pics though its hard to say. Your get away with cutting the legs off and soldering a new one on of the same value.
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Presume this is a capacitor gone? - would it cause these issues

Post by Pauln »

While your at it I'd be tempted to replace the other 10mf capacitor on the smaller board as a precautionary measure even though it may not look as though it's leaking at present, as these two caps seem to be the ones most prone to leaking.

If you decide to desolder the old caps, rather than simply clipping off the old caps before soldering new caps onto the legs as has been suggested, from memory I believe the caps need to be soldered on both sides of the double sided board. Just remember to remove any gunk from the old caps you find on the circuit board as it will eat into the tracks.

A quick coat of PCB lacquer afterwards is also a good plan to help protect the boards.

Paul
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

thanks both, I didn't even think about cutting on the legs and just cleaning the board, A much better idea for my amateur soldering skills.

I have soldered before, but just not on PCB board
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
ElvisRockVinyl

Post by ElvisRockVinyl »

I recapped mine a few years ago, you can test them in circuit with an ESR meter, I had 2 gone both reading very high ESR replaced them and engine ran a lot smoother, my 2 symptoms where hot start issues and high idle every so often even after a idle valve clean.

Return to “Electrical”