[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo smoking - what to do

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo smoking - what to do

Post by rossonza »

Hi guys,

my stock ct26 turbo is smoking on my rev2 turbo.

im wondering if people recommend replacing it with stock? or going hybrid.

I plan to forge the block and add a big turbo in a year or so, but for now id like to stop the burning of oil.

id also like to up boost a bit more than stock and get rid of the boost drop at higher revs hence im considering a hybrid turbo.

Anyone got first hand experience of hybrid ct26?

my cars modded:

AEM 320lph fuel pump
BRD 3" Decat Downpipe
Apexi GT exhaust
Megasquirt ECU (running MAP/no maf)
HKS SMIC

Any input would be appreciated. :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo smoking - what to do

Post by SonicSW20 »

Either source a "CT20b", or go for a hybrid of what you have, sounds like you have everything to support it.

If you go for a used CT20b make sure you get it cheap enough to have budget left for a rebuild.

I have a Turbotechnics S148 on my Gen3 as its what it came with. Its decent, and has a custom turbine housing which eliminates the CT26 hybrid creep issue which you get with hybrids that are pretty much a stock CT26 with a larger compressor.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:Either source a "CT20b", or go for a hybrid of what you have, sounds like you have everything to support it.

If you go for a used CT20b make sure you get it cheap enough to have budget left for a rebuild.

I have a Turbotechnics S148 on my Gen3 as its what it came with. Its decent, and has a custom turbine housing which eliminates the CT26 hybrid creep issue which you get with hybrids that are pretty much a stock CT26 with a larger compressor.

I hadn't considered c20 as I thought I would need a different manifold/downpipe setup.

S148 looks great. I've emailed them for a price.

:thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Many people have put CT20B's on a Gen2, but I don't know exactly what you need to fit. Performance-wise a *good* CT26 hybrid and a stock CT20B are rather similar.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:Many people have put CT20B's on a Gen2, but I don't know exactly what you need to fit. Performance-wise a *good* CT26 hybrid and a stock CT20B are rather similar.

Sure. I just figured the s148 would be a good upgrade. As it would give me roughly the power id be chasing once forged (400ish).

Thanks again dude.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

When exactly does it start smoking?

Is it hot idle? As this is when the oil pressure is at it's lowest which would mean it's the turbo seals.

I had a TT CT26, spooled slightly slower than a CT20 but it made around 300bhp on the dyno. Unfortunately it shat an exaust blade through the engine one day, but I'd bought it second hand so thats more on me I guess.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Race Idiot wrote:When exactly does it start smoking?

Is it hot idle? As this is when the oil pressure is at it's lowest which would mean it's the turbo seals.

I had a TT CT26, spooled slightly slower than a CT20 but it made around 300bhp on the dyno. Unfortunately it shat an exaust blade through the engine one day, but I'd bought it second hand so thats more on me I guess.

I've only personally seen oil / smelt it when it's hot idle as you said. I presume it's the oil from that in my intercooler pipework that's causing smoke when I'm in boost too.

Yeah well my goal will be 400. So to spend a bit more now makes sense to me.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

400bhp on any CT turbo is a big ask, you'll be working it very hard.

Might be time to look at some aftermarket options. This will cost more of course... You can retain the stock manifold with an adapter plate for these power levels though.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:400bhp on any CT turbo is a big ask, you'll be working it very hard.

Might be time to look at some aftermarket options. This will cost more of course... You can retain the stock manifold with an adapter plate for these power levels though.

Not really chasing Dyno numbers. It's just a rough figure I had in mind.

The 225 now feels relatively quick. Just the boost drop off sucks... And it would be nice if I had a slightly earlier fullboost.

Sure. I hadn't thought of adapter plates.its just the complications. Would probably need new oil/water lines. Downpipe. Wastegate. Just seems like a lot of extra work when getting close to my goal could be done using all my existing setup just a turbo change. (And later injector's and forged pistons).

Does that make sense?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, it is more work and money, thats the downside of moving away from a CT.

Are you still on Gen2 injectors? Those will be a limitation.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:Yeah, it is more work and money, thats the downside of moving away from a CT.

Are you still on Gen2 injectors? Those will be a limitation.

Yes gen 2 injectors still. I'm on the prowl for higher flowing ones.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Not advertising but I may have a TD05-16G kit for sale shortly, this is internally gated and was rebuilt a couple of years ago by owens developments with a billet compressor wheel.

I was using it on a gen3 but it should work with a gen2

Spool was lovely, comparable to a ct20 but with a bigger kick. I never did get it dynoed as I was gonna do it with the link ecu I bought and then a turbo I always wanted came up for sale so I went with that.

Edit: it ran pretty well on the stock ecu/fueling , but I had a wideband to make sure the afr's were in check.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Race Idiot wrote:Not advertising but I may have a TD05-16G kit for sale shortly, this is internally gated and was rebuilt a couple of years ago by owens developments with a billet compressor wheel.

I was using it on a gen3 but it should work with a gen2

Spool was lovely, comparable to a ct20 but with a bigger kick. I never did get it dynoed as I was gonna do it with the link ecu I bought and then a turbo I always wanted came up for sale so I went with that.

Edit: it ran pretty well on the stock ecu/fueling , but I had a wideband to make sure the afr's were in check.

Drop me a pm. Could be interested :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

rossonza wrote:Yes gen 2 injectors still. I'm on the prowl for higher flowing ones.

I'd get those done at the same time otherwise you'll be mapping twice. 800's should be enough, but if I remember correctly the Gen2 rail benefits from being drilled out when using larger injectors, assuming drop in side feed?
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:
rossonza wrote:Yes gen 2 injectors still. I'm on the prowl for higher flowing ones.

I'd get those done at the same time otherwise you'll be mapping twice. 800's should be enough, but if I remember correctly the Gen2 rail benefits from being drilled out when using larger injectors, assuming drop in side feed?

I'm mapping the squirt myself. With the help of a friend. So not fussed about remapping to suit higher injector's. But I get what your saying.

Yes I'd read about the rail being drilled out. Figured easier just to get a rev3 rail?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

rossonza wrote:

Drop me a pm. Could be interested :thumleft:

No probs, I'll have some good pics of it on saturday

don't think the rev3 rail is compatibile

Return to “Mechanical”