My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by Ryan S »

Here's a better pic of the engine bay, The wires will be tidied and I'll be repainting the rocker cover. I'll be doing the boost pipes and chargecooler black and gonna change the yellow joiners to blac too along with black mikalor clamps. I'll give it a good tart up once it's on the road. I have a genuine greddy type S blow off valve to go on too. Very chavtastic but it's my fave sounding one. It has an uprated kevlar diaphragm in it, I'll probably paint that black too.

In other work that's been done, All droplinks replaced, all struts removed and the arches undersealed, Walbro fitted, big brake kit fully refurbed with new pistons seals as well as new fitting kit as well as discs and pads. Sure I've mentioned this but just keeping track!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So the car is finished and ready for me to pick up. I'm just waiting on my new ECU arriving today, Learnt the hard way that I had a bed engine earth and fried my G3plus!!! When I had the car running at my place it did have a few wee niggles, The starter would turn on it's own etc, Kris couldn't find any issue with the harness etc and when he went to start it, The loom started smoking and toasted my ecu!! Anyway....Engine earth now sorted and ecu arriving today!! There will be miles put on the car this week :) Just running wastegate pressure just now (7psi spring) until the engine is run in.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Awesome! I assume that's on a good base map?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The map I'm using is actually off kris' fully mapped car. 360whp I believe. Tom at fensport had a look at the map and says it's very safe. His engine build is identical to mine so it should in theory do for me running in the motor. I did have a little flat spot with this when I had it running but i never had the timing set properly and i have a feeling the ISCV was goosed. I'm no longer running the stock manifold now so fingers crossed. The same map has no issues on kris' brothers GT4 (again same engine build). Sooooo. Once it's run in i could turn up the boost and have some fun with it before having it mapped again. I most likely won't though. As soon as it's run in and any niggles (if encountered) are ironed out I'll be getting it mapped right away.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Interesting! Personally no wouldn't be kicking it's ar$e antil you've had it mapped to your car specifically.

Great news though!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah definitely man!! As long as it runs well enough (and safe enough) on this map to do my 1000 miles I'll be happy :) gonna try and get away from work tonight to pick the car up.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

so....can't get the fecking car started!!! No idea what the issue is but i've been here before with it so i'm not worried. It was backfiring so sounds to me like a timing issue. The only changes made have been a couple of sensors and the ISCV. Hopefully get a bit of time at it this weekend :D

Really p*ssed off with it ha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So, Got the car fired up and drove it 25 miles home :)

https://youtu.be/TtymfRFKy40

It idles great and is smooth off boost but it's not brilliant. Certainly fine for running it in. AFRs were good and consistent as were all temps.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

looks good :thumleft: :thumleft: cant wait till it is at some shows :thumleft:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

and you need new wipers lol :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i literally went and got new wipers!!! 4 years of sitting has done my old one no favours!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Wee bit of progress from today!!
Vapid

Post by Vapid »

Looks awesome!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers mate, Away to fit my big gay carbon wing today. When i get it painted again I'm gonna get a couple of bootlids painted too. I really like it without a spoiler but also like it with one.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Carbon wing fitted. I do like no spoiler as well but I'm happy with the look of this. Got a few other wee carbon bits to go on as well but it's hammering down today so they can wait.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

spoiler looks good..
to be honest the whole car looks great mate!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

pistol pete wrote:spoiler looks good..
to be honest the whole car looks great mate!

Cheers Pete. I've ordered smoked sidelights. Something I've never ever liked to be honest but they will suit the colour and the wee carbon bits. It's getting MoT'd on Saturday so looking forward to that. Next week I'll be sorting out the issue with the bumper. And in a few weeks time I'll be having it repainted. Think i'm actually gonna go back to Solar Yellow but I have a pearl powder to add to the paint (or laquer). The pearl powder is a very very close match for solar yellow so fingers crossed it looks nice!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mapping booked for 4 weeks time! Very excited!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

500 miles down!! 500 to go!!

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

700 miles done. Looking forward to mapping in a weeks time. Painting is booked for the week after that. Still undecided on which shade of yellow to go with. Car has been relatively trouble free. My throttle cable popped out of the bracket, manifold loosening off, just things coming loose basically. Just keeping on top of it all as the miles pass. Car drives like stock when driven normally so i'm really pleased with it so far. I can't see the mapping having much affect on how it drives off boost etc. Idles great from cold but crap when warmed up so i'm hoping that's something they will sort at mapping.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”