[Mk2] [Turbo] HELP: on/off throttle engine vibrating massively. Cv joint/gearbox? I don't know

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pnicho

[Mk2] [Turbo] HELP: on/off throttle engine vibrating massively. Cv joint/gearbox? I don't know

Post by pnicho »

Hi all,

1996 MR2 Turbo. Gearbox: E153-735

Hoping someone can shed some light.
The car is back on the road and the only thin I've touched in the drive line is the inner CV boot on the passenger side.
It was driving fine yesterday and I booted it away from a standstill.
After this whenever I lifted off the throttle or gently touched it I had a sound like a small man behind the drivers seat with a hammer trying to get out.
Got it up in the air and I could simulate it by gently letting the clutch out into first gear. The torque coming from somewhere is causing the engine to judder back and forth so much that the intercooler pipes are hitting the firewall.
However for the love of me I can't find out what's wrong.
I've pulled the boot off the CV joint and it all looks good in there.
The only other thing that I've noticed is that if I spin one wheel the other one only thinks about turning. I'm sure it used to turn in the past.

I'm really stuck as to what this could be and I'm supposed to be going on holiday driving it in 19 days time. :(

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] HELP: on/off throttle engine vibrating massively. Cv joint/gearbox? I don't know

Post by SonicSW20 »

If the engine is moving that much, you have a broken engine mount. Most likely the front or rear one.
pnicho

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] HELP: on/off throttle engine vibrating massively. Cv joint/gearbox? I don't know

Post by pnicho »

Took the drive shaft off. Engine doesn't move anymore.
All engine mounts look good. Can't move the engine at all either.

Return to “Mechanical”