Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GreddyMR2

Re: Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Finally and update after some time.

During the couple of past months I haven't done much, just fitted a TD05 turbo. And here is a short video of revving it with an open exhaust and intake.
https://youtu.be/fM2nfkOjeHU

I also made a big decision last week and bought a really huge intake manifold which will be modified to fit in a boot. Lots of work is waiting with this one...

And finally I started fitting a boot mount IC.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

That was quite a long time since my last post! Car was mainly standing outsite unused, but finally I found some time and money to finish with a rear mount intercooler project.

Now it's time to get the car mapped and check the intake temps.
To get IC working a bit better, I will cut the holes in a bumper and also will make a "lip" under the IC to catch some more air. And probably I should wrap the exhaust, but the silencer which is in front of IC, doesn't get very hot. Only pipes are hot, but there are not many of them.

Also I had to connect externat idle control valve as the throttle body is not OEM anymore, so I now have some issues with idling, but we should solve it with couple of tweaks in the ECU.

After fitting TD05 turbo exhaust became much louder and it's impossibe to drive daily without a silencer :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's been a while, Lukas. The car's looking awesome :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Magic Beans wrote:It's been a while, Lukas. The car's looking awesome :thumleft:

It's looking good just from a distance, but don't really care a lot about it as it's a race car :twisted:
After car is mapped, next will be to fit front splitter, make a vented hood and fit polyurethane suspension plus do a good wheel geometry. Can't wait to do all of this and test it on a track. It should be quite a different car.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Yesterday we had a first attempt of mapping. Apparently boost solenoid was connected wrong and it was overboosting. Also, after changing turbo and intake manifold my cruise AFR became very rich and it probably damaged spark plugs a bit as the car hesitated sometimes on boost.
So we couldn't finish yesterday. After mapping we connected turbo pressure directly to wastgate to check how much boost the WG is holding as tuner was afraid it can be too tight and cause overboosting. But when going home, boost was holding at around 0.8bar, so now I just need to connect the solenoid right.

Another good thing is the intake temps. Just to remind, my IAT with side mount IC (it was the ARC) was around 70-80deg C on full boost (1,2bar with CT20). Now, with TD05 20G and big rear mount IC IAT on 1bar of boost was only around 35deg C. But tuner also noticed that temps should be lower as on cruise it was showing around 30deg C when outside temp was around 7degC. So when we were back in the garage, we took the sensor out and checked the temp (it was around 10degC in garage) and ECU showed 25degC. So it definitely needs recalibration. Anyway, IAT is not getting a lot high on boost when it was before (from 30 to 80 or so :)).

Oh and when I was going home, the car suddenly died when boosting. Then I heard that fuel pump is not working when ignition is ON. I though please not again... I hate taking fuel tank off. But luckily I found blown EFI fuse. Changed it , but the car didn't start. Then I started to check wires and found a loose TPS wire (it was not well connected as I was in a hurry and later didn't do it either). Reconnected it and it started. But then again, I just started to boost and car died. EFI was blown again. Then I fitted another fuse and cruised home. So I guess there is another loose wire or bad isolation somewhere, so will have to check everything again.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work. Glad you're back in the saddle mate :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

craig wrote:Nice work. Glad you're back in the saddle mate :thumleft:

Thanks :thumleft: This season will be mainly with the car getting ready back for a track, some more mods and maybe a few track days to get my skills back and hopefully next year I will be back in track fully ready :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Finally some race after a couple of years brake! And it went quite well, 1'st in 3000+ group and 2nd overall. I was quite careful during the first two runs and lost quite a lot of time then, but my third run was the best overall and here is the video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXgxU0iPkg&t=1s

My 2nd and 3rd gears are near death unfortunately. Need new synchros :)

And random shot from the event
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

A bit of weekend's work. Finally finished door card template, now I just need to buy some plastic material and cut it.
Also, improved an airflow for IC (well, I hope so). Removed impact bar, which helped to save a few kilos and cut the holes in a bumper, which also saved a few grams :mrgreen:
Did some other minor works, as changed rear ball joint, connected water cooling for a turbo and solved exhaust leak (almost). Appearantly it also needs a new flexi. But I am not sure whether to leave exhaust where it is or make it exit through the side vent. At first I thought to fit oil cooler there so don't know which way to choose.

GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Another day at track, another surprise. In short, I bought a used turbo kit and didn't check that oil return hose is not for oil, but for water. And probably not resistant to heat. It melt and started leaking oil. Fortunately it holded up just until the finish and gave up just after my last run. Later I had to search right size hose from another place in my engine which was not a must so I could come back home. I borrowed one from idle control valve.

And here is a short video of one of my runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE0vhdh8euc

Also, something is wrong with my brakes. Under or just after the boost, brake pedal is terribly heavy and so I have to brake very early, because it take a second or so to start braking normally. I checked the valve in the brake booster, but it seems ok. I am wondering if it could be related to different intake manifold? The hole for the booster hose is of smaller diameter then in stock manifold and I think maybe it does not create vacuum in booster fast enough?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

OK just talked with a previous owner of intake manifold and he had the same problem. So now I know where to look. Firstly, I will make the same diameter pipe in a manifold for brake booster and will see how it goes. But still I can't understand how pressure enters the booster if there is a valve.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

It's been a while with no updates so thought it's time.
This time about downpipe and loose turbo bolts.
Previous season was the time of changing turbo gaskets. I changed 3 of them if I remember correctly.
First track day, couple of hot laps and I noticed drop in boost and leak sound. Stopped to pits, couple of turbo bols missing and another two are loose.
Bye bye gasket

OK, I thought bolts were not tightened well. So new gasket, new bolts, retightened them after engine got hot and let's go to a track.
Couple of hot laps, bye bye another gasket :D

OK, something's not right here. Stock CT turbo has a holder to the block, this one doesn't. I have a good friend with some weding skills, let's talk to him.
I don't need something shiny, just something to hold the turbo in place.
Also, the downpipe which came with this TD05 turbo is a bit funny. 2.25" diameter. Let's upgrade this while we are there.
Brought the car to his workshop

Tiny downpipe

Tiny downpipe from underground + bottleneck in midpipe

Doesn't look pretty also

Some old material for new downpipe

Parts welded together = new downpipe. Also bottleneck fixed. Now I can say it's full 3" exhaust

Fitted

Fitting well

Now it's time for turbo holders. First from the top

One more from the bottom

And one more. More is better then less I suppose :-k

Did it help? I have not replaced more gaskets since these upgrades were done, so I think so.

Return to “Member Profiles”