www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Hesitation under initial boost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossonza
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SonicSW20 wrote:
Did you calibrate it when you reinstalled it? TPS is a very simple device, if it calibrates correctly then its fine.

I didn't remove it yesterday. Simply pulled the connector off it. It was re calibrated last time it was fully removed. I'll dig out the calibration info again and try And check it properly.
SonicSW20
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ah, I got you.

I've only had Gen3's, but if you disconnect the TPS on those it'll hunt on idle, I don't know if Gen2 would behave the same. so perhaps if disconnecting it made no difference to the vehicles behaviour there is something wrong with it?
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SonicSW20 wrote:
Ah, I got you.

I've only had Gen3's, but if you disconnect the TPS on those it'll hunt on idle, I don't know if Gen2 would behave the same. so perhaps if disconnecting it made no difference to the vehicles behaviour there is something wrong with it?

Initial unplug of the connector made the idle speed drop slightly. But it continued to idle fine. Drivability with it still unplugged was the exact same as with it plugged in.

I'll do one more test of the TPS then I'll have to take it somewhere. Don't really have a massive amount of time to fault find now. And I'm tired of throwing money at this one issue.
SonicSW20
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Have you replaced / tested the AFM? Searching on the US MR2 forums for heistation at 3000rpm / wont rev past 3000RPM brings up the AFM being an issue quite often.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SonicSW20 wrote:
Have you replaced / tested the AFM? Searching on the US MR2 forums for heistation at 3000rpm / wont rev past 3000RPM brings up the AFM being an issue quite often.

Me and a friend de-lidded it and cleaned it with electrical cleaner. And I've no spare to try on it.
SonicSW20
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Has it run right since then? I've heard before that the AFM is pretty sensitive and opening them up isn't advisable as it's easy to break them.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SonicSW20 wrote:
Has it run right since then? I've heard before that the AFM is pretty sensitive and opening them up isn't advisable as it's easy to break them.

Yes. The car intermittently worked fine. I thought it was related to battery disconnect/reconnect. But thats since not fixed the issue.

Example was. I went for a drive out with a friend in his 130i.

Had a race on dual carriageway. Left him for dust. Went round the corner. Went over a roundabout and my battery terminal popped off. Put it back on and I couldn't get into boost again. Then on the way back to his. Pulled into a layby. Turned car off/back on and boost came back. Then 10 minutes down the road it was gone again.

It's as if the ECU is going into a limp mode or something. Or it's a loose wire somewhere. I've checked all wiring. Redone grounds. Tried disconnecting/reconnection battery. Tried turning car off/on 20 times In a row. Nothings working now. I think something has been failing and it's finally failed completely.
SonicSW20
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sounds like a right nightmare [d'oh!]

Have you used Mr. Two's in Willenhall, assuming you're still in the West Mids? He did some work on my old NA when I was in Stafford, seemed decent and knowledgeable.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SonicSW20 wrote:
Sounds like a right nightmare [d'oh!]

Have you used Mr. Two's in Willenhall, assuming you're still in the West Mids? He did some work on my old NA when I was in Stafford, seemed decent and knowledgeable.

It's just frustrating as it's been teasing me working intermittently.

Funnily enough a friend recommended him at lunch time today. Just phoned him and its going in next Saturday. Fingers crossed he can find the issue [thumleft]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: