[Mk2] [Turbo] Con rods!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

[Mk2] [Turbo] Con rods!!

Post by Bear87 »

Evening chaps

Its been a while since ive been on here as been waiting patiently for my engine to be built on the cheap by family member. Good news all is well and the engine is almost ready to go.

I am aiming for 450-500hp eventually and currently i have standard rods that are shot and peened. I think these would be pushing there luck at this power. Can anyone recommend a set? Ive struggled to get max hp numbers for some online. Also is the arp bolt upgrade worthwhile under 500 hp?

Many thanks as always

Brad
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Con rods!!

Post by Ryan S »

No need for rods. Proven to take over 600bhp. Rod bolts are up to your but you'll need to press the old ones out. For 500bhp I wouldn't bother with them :thumleft:
Hez

Post by Hez »

Plenty of big HP builds out there with standard rods and standard rod bolts (500hp+), stick some forged pistons in there 86mm if your block allows it and a MLS headgasket with ARP head studs and you will be good to go :thumleft:
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks guys.

Engine just been re sleeved and has 86mm JE forged pistons among other goodies.

So i will save myself the expense of rods for now. Even better if i dont have to upgrade the bolts. I cant find any cases of the oem bolts failing which is promising.

:thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Keep us posted. I don't know much about sleeving the 3s.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Ryan S wrote:Keep us posted. I don't know much about sleeving the 3s.

I will do. Will hopefully do a build post at some point. Been a long term project limited by funds. Hopefully now can move along at some speed!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah it's not easy mate. 4 year mine has been off the road. Admittedly I did nothing for two of them!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

If you havent put it back together, i'd strongly look into not using a sleeved block.

They never work on the 3S and i've only heard of 1-2 not failing.

Your best bet is to source a 98 NA block with the strengthened water pump corner and denser material and stick to 86mm pistons.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:If you havent put it back together, i'd strongly look into not using a sleeved block.

Your best bet is to source a 98 NA block with the strengthened water pump corner and denser material and stick to 86mm pistons.

I didn't wanna be the one to bring this up but yeah. I've also never heard of a successful sleeved 3sgte :(
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

androo007 wrote:If you havent put it back together, i'd strongly look into not using a sleeved block.

Thanks for your advice guys. I have spoken with my tuner and he has also had mixed results. Fortunately i have another block which we are now using. Looked rough on the outside but turns out to be perfect on the inside! Best news is one of the guys at the shop wants the sleeved block for his gt4 so it didnt end up costing me anything :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

good news man! Yeah the outside can be churched up no bother. It's the bores you're worried about. Great stuff mate!

Return to “Modifications”