Clutch slipping question.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Xavier R3V

Clutch slipping question.

Post by Xavier R3V »

Hello all.

I recently went to the Cotswolds meet. During the two hour spirited drive I did my best keeping up with the turbos. So I had the car in the power band for the most part. Towards the last ten minutes of that drive my clutch was slipping in every gear regardless of revs. After lunch the clutch was back to normal. Was it overheating? Is it near the end of its life? Could I possibly have warped/damaged it?

Car is a rev3 NA. It's also my first car and my mechanical knowledge isn't great and mostly theoretical but I do get my hands dirty when I can so sorry if it seems I'm asking a daft question. I had thought perhaps the clutch needed replacing soonish anyway as I never felt a definite biting point as I've been used to with other cars and it is I believe quite high. But I've never driven another MR2 to compare.

Cheers all.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Clutch slipping question.

Post by Martin F »

It will be nearing the end of it's life however if driven sensibly could last ages yet.
You probably shortened that though by slipping it so much, flywheel may have some scrapes but they are cheap as chips, as is a new clutch, it's the labour that makes the cost add up.

You could just wait and see what happens but if you are going to drive crazy again expect the inevitable sooner rather than later ;)
Draven

Post by Draven »

^^ as martin said,

Coming to the end of its life. it is a consumable item they just last a long time but this like most things depends on how they are treated.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Sounds like the fluid was boiling to me.

Refresh the clutch fluid and while your at it replace the line for a braided one.

My turbo did the same on track and once i did the above i never have another problem

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”