[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 turbo wont start. Help

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazylegs

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 turbo wont start. Help

Post by crazylegs »

A very long time since I posted here.Years but a few will remember me.
Anyway I am trying to help out a relative who has bought a rev 2 turbo to restore. It was parked up years ago because a boost problem but other than this it looks remarkably well maintained. It cranks fine, it has a good spark, the fuel pump seems to be working but there does not seem to be any fuel getting to the cylinders.We swapped all the relays from a running donor NA but still nothing. All the sensors are connected, although the hoses are not, so I am at a bit of a loss. My first thought , anyone know a fuel filter to block completely, does the immobiliser stop the pump or something else, how do I check the injector circuits? Thoughts from the turbo experts please.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 turbo wont start. Help

Post by Ryan S »

Sounds like injectors aren't opening.

There is a fuse (or a relay, I cannot remember) you can check.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

If it's been standing for a long time I assume you put some fresh fuel in the tank as any old stuff is likely to be pretty yukky.

It Might be worth checking the ECU for leaking capacitors, common on a rev 2. I had a similar issue with my NA when it had been left standing for a long time and the battery allowed to go flat. In my case it would start briefly, then the injectors switched off for no apparent reason, and you had to wait a while before it would restart. Fault was eventually traced to the ECU.

Paul
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I remember you very well Kev and I hope you are doing well and still have the Mk1s (silver 1a & white over silver auto SC if I remember correctly).

Good to see you posting mate and I hope you get the info you need. If all else fails, maybe call Paul Woods, I'm sure he's be happy to hear from you and help.

Cheers

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

bridge fp and b+ on diag port to bypass fuel pump relay.

If that dont work then put 12v directly to fuel pump under the ash tray.

If that still doesnt work then fuel pump is knackered
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

the fuel pump seems to be working but there does not seem to be any fuel getting to the cylinders
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

Have you replaced the fuel filter? I have a few spare cans of Seafoam which helps, you're welcome to use one if you're local to Swindon..
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

hi ollie, yes still have the SC stored away for when i have the time to enjoy it.

So fuel pump is accessible by the gear stick? i assumed that was the sender unit.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I thought you initially said that the fuel pump was working?

But if you're not sure, then you need to check if it's getting power, and if it's actually working.

But as far as I'm aware, the access panel adjacent to the gear stick is for the fuel gauge sender. My understanding is that you have to drop the fuel tanks to access the pump as that's situated further towards the rear of the tank.

The fuel pump relay is simply used to select a "high" or "low" delivery rate to the injectors by switching the fuel pump resistor in or out of circuit. If I remember correctly it's the open circuit relay that actually turns the pump on and off.

If you meter between the lilac and black stripe lead after the fuel pump resistor and chassis earth you should be able to find out if the pump is being powered.

If it is, then you need to find out how far the fuel is getting. If it's reaching the injectors, then I would have thought the issue is most likely to be in the control circuit for the injectors or the injectors themselves.

Paul
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

thanks pauln. it is a relatives car so i will check next time i get over to him. no point in trying to tell him as a spanner is an alien object to him. Why he thought he would buy a turbo i will never know.
ellisd1984

Post by ellisd1984 »

Take the spark plugs out to see if they are wet. If they're dry then there's no fuel getting to the cylinders

Return to “Mechanical”