[Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 fuel pump

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lookieuk

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 fuel pump

Post by lookieuk »

Hi peeps

Have replaced my fuel pump in my mr2 turbo 1995...with a walbro 255lph... When checking the fuel pump for leaks etc.. Noicted it seem to be struggling litttie bit so check the amps being pulled across it.. It started to pull at 12amps then drop to 7amps... Can anyone explain why please
Juliuswws

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mr2 fuel pump

Post by Juliuswws »

lookieuk wrote:Hi peeps

Have replaced my fuel pump in my mr2 turbo 1995...with a walbro 255lph... When checking the fuel pump for leaks etc.. Noicted it seem to be struggling litttie bit so check the amps being pulled across it.. It started to pull at 12amps then drop to 7amps... Can anyone explain why please

High starting current is normal with any DC or AC motor. I would consider this nearly double current normal. This is mainly because the armature of the motor is stopped at the moment of the start-up.

In layman terms, when you have to push a car (not an MR2, maybe a Nissan or Renault :) ), its much harder to get it start rolling than keep it in motion.

There are things out there such as starter resistor (array) or star-delta switching, but these are for large motors for the same reason.

I'm pretty sure your pump is all good

However, when others put in Supra pumps, they upgrade the wiring. I don't know how many amps that motor pulls when running. I'm pretty sure that the oem wiring is rated for at least 10A continuous current

Return to “Mechanical”