Rusty sills. Worth repairing or not?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ralliart

Rusty sills. Worth repairing or not?

Post by Ralliart »

I have seen an MR2 Rev3 i think that has quite badly rusted sills. Just wondering if you guys think if its worth repairing or not. The rest of the car is pretty sound just faded. Had a look underneath and can only see 1 other place where it needs a patch on it. My friend is an MOT tester and confirmed other than whats pictured the car is in decent condition for its age. Still being used daily and the owner only wants a couple of hundred quid for the car.

The arms / subframe are covered in rust but can be saved.

Whats the best plan of action for these. Is it better to cut as far as the rust is and weld up or replace sills. If so where from? I did see some 1/2 sections of sills on ebay but they may not be long enough as on this car there are bubbles further along aswell so would rather do the job properly.

androo007

Re: Rusty sills. Worth repairing or not?

Post by androo007 »

you can get the full length sill from MR2 Ben for a reasonable price.

Cut out all old metal and replace with fresh. About £800 for both sides all in with paint is about average :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Price will depend on how much work is needed on the inners and rear arches. I'd budget ~£1k, and be happy if you get some change.
craig

Post by craig »

I'd also check behind the boot carpet, as the rear arches have been known to come away from the car there too out of sight.

Budget around a grand for both sills inc. paint and you won't be far out.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Check my build thread, you'll see pictures of where the rust is.

the repairs cost me £400 ish doing it all myself.. thats including all angle grinder wheels/paint/filler but without the cost of a welder as i borrowed a friends.

£80 a full length sill is definitely recommended, i cut the outer sill off the entire length and it exposed rust that hadn't come through the outer sill.

So best to do the job properly and repair/remove any rust along the length of the car otherwise in a year or 2 you'll be back in there again.

PM me if you need any help/advice as its still relatively fresh in my mind.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”