Personalising my SW20 Spider

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Vampire

Re: Personalising my SW20 Spider

Post by Vampire »

Can you post more pics of the roof lid cover?? im seriously concidering modyfying my mr2 to be a spyder replica, but need to full understand how the roof system works.

Thanks
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

AND YES I understand the car will need to be structually reinforced! have picked up a cheap mr2 to practice this on!
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Been a very, very long time. Spider now over in Spain and i finally got to respray it (few panels at a time :( )

Looking for mini-Lotto win to get a LPG 2GR :shock: Unfortunately the emissions are getting super strict here and the 3S-GTE isn't going to pass in the near future. So, i need a Euro 6 engine. And even the Euro 6 standard will be replaced by Euro 7.

So, the idea is to get the 2GR, which is Euro6 and then bring it to Paul Woods to get a LPG conversion, to drop all the emissions even lower ! Then, get i t homolgated based on both Euro 6 and the extra-low readings.

Paul explained to me that the LPG conversion can work based on RPM o r be fully on/off. So, up to say 3,000 rpm, on the LPG and then full fat fuel over 3k rpm. Or just flip it completely over to LPG for the MOT and then back when "needed" :)

Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

They won't pass the 3SGTE? Is that because it's an engine swap? I'm assuming because it seems like you'd be putting a load of turbos off the road in Ireland if that was the case.

I know it's a bit of a downgrade but couldn't you go redtop beams with it, seeing as it's a GE but slightly more modern? I dunno how engine swap rules work over there. Is the 2GR even Euro 6?
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Race Idiot wrote:They won't pass the 3SGTE? Is that because it's an engine swap? I'm assuming because it seems like you'd be putting a load of turbos off the road in Ireland if that was the case.

I know it's a bit of a downgrade but couldn't you go redtop beams with it, seeing as it's a GE but slightly more modern? I dunno how engine swap rules work over there. Is the 2GR even Euro 6?

I think anything prior to 1996 is euro1 or euro2 rated. So, even if i extended it to say it a 99 beams, I'd just be buying myself a few years.

I had found a website where i could search by make/model and get euro rating but can't find it now. Anyway, it was the Evora that i checked and it was euro6.

https://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/5 ... l-6-speed/

Having said that, there are variants of 6 with some based on this newer real world driving measure.

Obviously this real world driving testing is done with the manafacturers. I don't know how they could test this at an mot? They can't strap the equipment onto every car and go off driving for an hour!

Good lpg research/test below

htttp://www.gtbilgass.no/wp-content/uploads/sit ... lts-v2.pdf
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

So I'm not sure if I'm getting it, say you have a 1994 Turbo, are they trying to get it to pass emissions for a Euro 6 vehicle?

Or does it just relate to engine swaps? IE any engine that goes in needs to be of euro 6 standard?

Sounds silly but if its the former can't you just put the old 3sge back in.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

The Euro standard is a set of limits based on the year of the car.

So, EURO1 was from 1-jan-1993 to 31-Dec-1996 and had limits of :
CO: 2.72g/kmHC + NOx: 0.97g/km

Euro 6 is then for all cars from September 2015.
Euro 6 emissions limits (petrol) CO: 1.00g/kmHC: 0.10g/kmNOx: 0.06g/kmPM: 0.005g/kmPM: 6.0x10 ^11/km

The ban is a combination of Euro limits and car year of manufacture.

So, i am going to have to ask them nicely or look to see if i can soon get some historic exemption to allow me to either stay with a 3s-gte or convert to a newer engine.

This is the wording of the ban:

"As from 1 December 2017, the measure will apply on NO2 pollution episode days, and will affect all cars that do not bear the DGT's environmental label (petrol-engine cars pre-Euro3 with pre-January 2000 licence plates and diesel-engine cars pre-Euro 4 with pre-January 2006 licence plates) and pre-Euro 1 vans (with pre-1 October 1994 licence plates).

As from 1 December 2018, on NO2 pollution episode, the restriction also applies to motorcycles and mopeds without DGT environmental label, pre- Euro 2, which corresponds mainly to those registered before 2003.

These temporary restrictions will gradually extend to all other vehicles without a DGT label and apply permanently, as from 2020, between 7 am and 8 pm on work days, from Monday to Friday."

Basically, they check air quality Mon-Fri and they declare if it is a high polluting day or not and you are banned based on that. From 2020, they won't check and Mon-Fri, you ain't allowed in (Bcn LEZ). From 2025, they extend that area.

So, mine falls into "petrol-engine cars pre-Euro3 with pre-January 2000 licence plates" and is currently banned on "high emisions days. From 2020, i can't go in Mon-Fri permanently. Then, 2025 is when they extend the area and this is where i live - just outside bcn. So, i have until 2025 :)

I'm hoping that battery prices/technology drops a lot and i could look at an EV conversion by 2025. I know a lot of people would hate to have an EV2 !!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Damn that sucks but that's the way everythings going. I'm on the border of the proposed ULEZ here in London. But my car is garaged and not a daily anyway, plus I mainly drive out of London in it.

A 2GR with some decent cat converters would probably be fine so that the engine meets the correct emissions sounds like a good bet. Just a shame the 2gr is still pretty expensive.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I'm the same - not a daily driver and i rarely drive into Barcelona LEZ.

I got approx 6 more years - so, hopefully the 2GR will drop a bit more by then.

What they are really targeting is the air quality, more than CO2. So, NOx and PM are the big ones. And these are moreso the diesel issues.

So, having highish CO2 with the 2GR might just mean higher tax.

My tax in Ireland was approx 710 euros per year ! Here now, it is 143 euros. The cost of a 2gr in tax is 220 euros. So, even if they push that up toward the 300 mark, it's still a bargain in my mind :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Aside from the emissions stuff is it hard owning a modified car over there? I always fancied picking up sticks and trying to find a job somewhere in Spain but I just kinda assumed I'd get rid of the car and just get something simpler like an mx5.

Although I'm probably not gonna be able to do that now :(
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I wouldn't like to say if it is hard/possible or not because i haven't really researched it.

When i looked for insurance, a lot wouldn't insure the car because of the age. I got it insured based on my wife already having a car insured. This could easily just be me not being in the know!

I got my car through with coilovers - that was done at the import stage.

As far as i know, mods can be done but you need to get a certified garage to do a homologation process.

Once, homologated, maybe insurance companies are okay with it
hojoos

Post by hojoos »

Niiiiccccccceee

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”