Alternators - much of a muchness?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Alternators - much of a muchness?

Post by Racer7 »

So my alternator went.

Thanks to the good people here (via FB) I managed to get the bu88er out.

So now I'm going to buy a new one. New as in 'new' not 'refurbed' or 'recond'. My logic is that hopefully it'll be better and last longer.

My outgoing alternator has only seen a few thousand miles over maybe 3-4 years.

Looking around I can't really see anyway to differentiate brands or quality of the build. So hence my question - are alternators all built the same? Or (other than Mr T OEM) is there a preferred make.

Mine was a Vectron if that helps anyone else. Not keen on a repeat purchase.

Caveat emptor: Haven't tested the plug connection as I'm not sure what to do with that. So whilst I do think it's the alt. I cannot 100% say it is (as opposed to regulator or wiring).
yokomomr4bx

Re: Alternators - much of a muchness?

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Only one I could source a few years ago was 'Vectron' as well. I was very doubtful but justice where it's due she's done about 25-30,000 miles now I would say. Either you got a bad one or I got a good one :roll: I already have a spare rectifier to put in when mine dies, but otherwise I would try and get a second hand Toyota one from a breaker.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

for the relative small amount of money they cost, just go for something like this: https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/505
shinny

Post by shinny »

After a couple of alternator failures, on recommendation and my own experience, I've started getting alternators from ElectroStart in Daventry. They seem to list most of the stock on ebay, although they can also be contreacted directly.

In 2015 I bought "AL2004 TOYOTA MR2 2.0 16V Turbo SW20 92-00 160 amp High Output Alternator" for my rev3 turbo, after two failures in very rapid succession of units from the starter motor and alternator company. However they are currently listing the AL2004 as 90A, not 160A. Might be worth a call to confirm, as I think the uprated capacity is handy.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

androo007 wrote:for the relative small amount of money they cost, just go for something like this: https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/505

The cost is relative! My alternative is only about 3 years old and only done about 2k miles! I'm not keen on keep rebuying over and over.

I have to say though, being able to almost do this myself (50% way through obvs) helps offset that cost.

My main concern was refurb/recon being sold as new.

Found this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142590319408 90amp apparently NEW

https://ebay.us/k3sUJr 90amp apparently NEW.

Yes, I'm distrusting!

@Shinny - will get Electrostart a call - they only list an 80A for the N/A.

I do think the extra headspace in amp sounds a good move. Probs 160 overkill for an N/A and me but 90+ would be good for a £100.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Racer7 wrote:@Shinny - will get Electrostart a call - they only list an 80A for the N/A.

I do think the extra headspace in amp sounds a good move. Probs 160 overkill for an N/A and me but 90+ would be good for a £100.

Ooooooh, I don't think you said NA in the original post and for some reason I assumed turbo.

I've also bought a rev3 alt from ElectroStart which is happy three years on. Mine was listed as "A388 Toyota MR2 16V SW20 92-99 Alternator 101211-5460" and here's ElectroStart's alt now listed as SA388 - can't confirm if it's the same or not:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SA388-Toyota ... 2558158466

Note, that listing is £30 cheaper than I paid, which makes me think they've got a different supplier :-k
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

shinny wrote:

Ooooooh, I don't think you said NA in the original post and for some reason I assumed turbo.

I've also bought a rev3 alt from ElectroStart which is happy three years on. Mine was listed as "A388 Toyota MR2 16V SW20 92-99 Alternator 101211-5460" and here's ElectroStart's alt now listed as SA388 - can't confirm if it's the same or not

Am I right in saying that on the N/A I ONLY have the option of 80A?

Enquired with another seller (I think I linked above) but they came back and said "no you need this... 80A"

So getting the breathing room on a 90 or 100A seems like it's not possible on the UK N/A or am I misunderstanding this all?

Incidentally always good to ask seller questions "New" turns out to be "factory remanufactured" whatever than means! :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”