[Mk2] [Turbo] Electric mirrors not working. What are these wires?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Electric mirrors not working. What are these wires?

Post by rossonza »

Hi guys.

My mirrors arnt working at all. Either the adjuster or power fold.

As you can see there's some wires not connected to anything. Is it related? Or is there a common fault I can look for with the mirrors?

Thanks
Ross.
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Electric mirrors not working. What are these wires?

Post by Pauln »

As it happens I've just converted my car to folding mirrors, so whilst it's fresh in my mind, starting at the bottom of your photo:

The flat twin red cable is not part of a standard loom and looks like a new speaker cable the previous owner has installed. Is it connected to the speaker? does the speaker work?

The small gray socket, with nothing connected to it, is the original feed for the stock bass speaker.

The Blue with pale Green cables taped up to right are the feeds for the stock tweeters originally mounted inside behind the mirrors. It's not clear from the photo whether these still have a connector on the end, or have just been cut and taped.

So I believe all those "spare leads" are audio, and nothing to do with your mirror problem.

The mirror functions are carried on the lead with all the terminal blocks. This has 7 wires and the colours coming out of the main loom look correct, but they change colour the other side and for some reason have been patched with terminal block.

It makes me wonder if the mirrors may not be JDM folding mirrors, and perhaps were UK heated mirrors converted to the folding type, which I know some owners have done. But that's just a guess, I could well be wrong.

Back to the mirrors not working.

Were both sides working originally?
If yes do both not work now?

If neither are working, check the fuse. I think from memory this is in the footwell and also covers the cig lighter and radio. If thats OK, check connections in drivers door to the switch panel as it's likely to be in this area that there's a problem. Poor connection, broken wire of switch.

It might also be worth checking in the footwell to make sure the two door loom plugs are pushed fully home into their sockets.

If it's only the drivers side that has stopped working, check the plug and socket and the terminal block in the drivers door to the mirror. It's a damp area so look for corrosion in the terminal block.

After that things get a bit more complicated as you's need to start metering thing out to try and work out where the problem is.

Hope that helps.

Paul
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

great response thanks Paul, Im hoping to get a look at the car this weekend :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Thanks again for the post. I removed the connector blocks and soldered the wiring. All now working apart from the drivers retract doesn't work. Adjustment does. And passenger side works completely.

Will have to figure out how to fault find the one mirror not power folding. I'll double check all the wiring tomorrow in day light.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Well that's pretty good progress. Well worth checking the wiring again, the following wiring diagram should help identify the wires that relate to the drivers mirror folding function. Don't forget these colours relate to the stock door harness not the cables that connects to the harness in the door, which isn't stock.

I found this in a posting on the MR2OC forum when I was upgrading to folding mirrors. Unfortunately it's in Japanese but I've added the correct colour codes which were translated in another post. If the connections are OK, it might be worth folding the passenger mirror via the switch, then manually folding the drivers mirror. Then click the switch to open them. If the drivers mirror unfolds via the switch it's likely to be a faulty limit switch in the mirror housing.

I guess at a push it could be a faulty relay. But I think that's far less likely as the passenger side is working.

Here's a link to the OC thread which you may also find helpful.

MR2OC Post

Good luck.

Paul
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Pauln wrote:Well that's pretty good progress. Well worth checking the wiring again, the following wiring diagram should help identify the wires that relate to the drivers mirror folding function. Don't forget these colours relate to the stock door harness not the cables that connects to the harness in the door, which isn't stock.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.mr2.org.uk/images/JDM_Folding_Mirrors.jpg

I found this in a posting on the MR2OC forum when I was upgrading to folding mirrors. Unfortunately it's in Japanese but I've added the correct colour codes which were translated in another post. If the connections are OK, it might be worth folding the passenger mirror via the switch, then manually folding the drivers mirror. Then click the switch to open them. If the drivers mirror unfolds via the switch it's likely to be a faulty limit switch in the mirror housing.

I guess at a push it could be a faulty relay. But I think that's far less likely as the passenger side is working.

Here's a link to the OC thread which you may also find helpful.

MR2OC Post

Good luck.

Paul

thanks again Paul. I've got a friend coming over the weekend to see if we can figure it out. thanks for the diagram

Return to “Electrical”