Interior trim anyone had this?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Interior trim anyone had this?

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi

Ive had the cubby box & lid covers, just wondered if anyone has had these at all?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-STITCH ... 0005.m1851

The cubby box & lid id one thing but the dash a little more involved me thinks

Ta Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Racer7

Re: Interior trim anyone had this?

Post by Racer7 »

Nice - I've been thinking about retrimming my dashboard (after sitting in a Porsche with alcantara trim).

I guess the 'easy' option is to buy a second hand dash and do all the gluing off the car and then swap over.

Bookmarked the seller just in case I feel brave one day!

I hate the sun reflection off my dash so hence wanting the retrim.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

self same thoughts here

im probably going to give it a go in the summer ....gulp!!!

ha ha Ill keep you posted!
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

May look in to this a well as I do like the look :thumleft:
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

I'm pretty sure this is the same vendor who did similar kits for the VX220 (probably still does them).
From what I remember reading on the VX forum, a few had issues with fitting due to poor manufacture but most said that if the time and effort was put in, then the results very fairly good. IIRC, they took a lot longer to fit properly than expected - and the VX220 dash is a lot simpler in shape than the MR2.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

following. Always wanted to do this. As said the glare off the dash does my head in too!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

wilki the younger & I have had the cubby box & lid & gaiters from these guyd before wilki had red I had blue stitching,had them for a few years now they havnt faded or anything.

The leather does seem to be of good quality
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I think it's the same folks that I bought leather covers from for my sun visors. The leather and stitching was fine, but the fit wasn't too clever, but that may just be due to the way the stock visor deteriorates over time.

The glare off the dashboard in the summer is a real pain, so it will be interesting to see how easy or difficult you find it to get a good finish with the leather overlay.

The other alternative is having it flocked. Having seen one in the flesh I quite liked the look of it, and it certainly cut out the glare. But I did wonder how well it would wear, where as leather will last almost for ever if treated well.

Paul
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

I think mine may have been the one you saw Paul! I had it flocked just over 2 years ago now...I think, and the difference it made to glare has been fantastic, only thing I notice now are the de-mister vents which occasionally have a little glare from them. As to durability, it's actually been very hardwearing, I haven't noticed a fade in the colour or any thinning from fibres coming loose. It really wasn't expensive either, provided you do all the take-out/re-fit etc. I wouldn't have it done to any contact surfaces though i.e. centre console, door cards etc, and if I could go back I probably wouldn't even have got the glove box done!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

hi you have any details pics etc on having the dash flocked?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

The only flocked dash I've actually seen was Ed's car (yokomomr4bx) who I think had it done locally (Cardiff). It looked pretty good, and said it really sorted out the reflection problems. He also had the front of the glove box flocked, which I think was a good idea.

My only reservation is how well easy it would be to keep clean and how well it would wear.

Ed had it done a while ago now, so could probably answer those questions by now. I'm afraid I didn't take any photos, but if you drop him a PM I'm sure he will be happy to oblige.

I've not taken this any further myself at the moment, as I've other stuff that needs sorting first. But I do find the reflection in summer a real pain, so it's something I'm still considering in the long run. I also like the idea of that leather dash, but am not convinced I could make a good job of gluing it down smoothly - and once it's glued, it's glued. I also wonder what the effect of sunlight through the windscreen would have long term, and wouldn't want the dash cracking like seats do.

Paul
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive got a flocked interior to fit into mine. Will take some pics as hoping to have it fitted at the weekend.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

There's a few picture on my build thread of the dashboard off the car after it was flocked, I don't think I have any of it in the car though, I'll have a nose when I'm home from work and put one on this thread.

I actually had it done by south west flocking in Bristol, they supply flocking services for a few race teams in the south west and did a very professional job. Here's their website, though you'll need to give the chap a call or send an email to get a proper idea of what's involved.

http://www.southwestflocking.co.uk/contact.html

If memory serves me correct I think he said he would send £10 my way for every MR2 dash board I sent to him...retirement fund starts here ;)

Paul is spot on for difficulty cleaning, only safe way to do it is with compressed air to dispel the dust that it will catch a lot of. I have also noticed that it will collect moisture in winter, not damp to the touch, but the front screen mists up a lot more readily than it used to - worth it for summer driving though.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Here's a couple of photos of what flocking will look like, marks on it are simply dust...it really shows it up!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”