[Mk2] [Turbo] Boosting issues

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

futhermucker250

[Mk2] [Turbo] Boosting issues

Post by futhermucker250 »

Hi all,

Rev 4, just fitted a TD 3" DP, Fleabay intercooler, 9" fan/shroud. Stock back box.

HKS EVC-S also installed by PO but not plumbed to turbo.

Put her on the rollers at TD completely stock and she rolled at 244bhp on a chilly morning.

So, I fitted all the parts and went for a few spins in the car, it was boosting to just over 13psi, please note this was also the boost level attained before I fitted the DP/Intercooler.

She seemed to run better and possibly pull a little more with the DP fitted. So I'm happy the mechanical mods are OK.

Now I connected up the HKS to the turbo/WG. I blanked off the T-VSV pipe at the WG, I then go for a run in the car, set up the EBC as per what other folk have been using to give me in the region of 17psi on prog 2 & 14psi on prog 1.

When I accelerate in say 3rd/4th/5th they turbo spools up at just over 3k, boost rises fast, but as soon as it goes over 10 odd psi the power delivery goes flat and slowly goes down to 8psi. I then turned off the EVC-S and the car will only boost to just over 8psi. It's confusing me as it boosted to 13psi before hardwiring in the EVC-S.

I've trawled the web for preset settings for the EBC and are using settings similar to other 3S-GTE owners.

Next I electrically disconnected the T-VSV and went for another drive - no change.

Is there anything else I need to do/disconnect etc??

Tomorrow when I get home from work I'll reconnect the turbo/WG pipe and reconnect the T-VSV to reconfirm the car will boost to 13psi and hold it as it has done in the past. Apart from doing that I'm a little stumped as to why the EVC-S won't allow me to boost higher than 8psi even when I turn it off!

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

To rule out the EVC-S at fault should I try a cheap MBC?
BALDYMONSTER

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Boosting issues

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Not that I am any sort of expert here but the many frustrating turbo issues of over boosting/underboosting/not holding boost have been cured in 10 minutes with an MBC.

Having said that I currently run a Blitz dual solenoid number with no issues.

Check out these guys, MBC but with the ability to be adjusted inside the car on the go if for example your'e getting boost spikes in the winter for example.

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/
futhermucker250

Post by futhermucker250 »

Thanks for the reply..

I've figured it out, well almost there, it's just taking a lot of road time to setup.

I got it boosting to 16 odd psi and holding that in 1st-3rd but for some reason in 4th-5th it's holding just over 17psi.

It's transformed how the car drives, I'm well please to say the least - just more road time fine tuning the HKS EVC-S is required.

For anyone else having issues with this specific unit there is a key thread here:

https://www.supraforums.com/forum/showt ... h-the-roof

See post No.9..

The setting I'm using for the above are as follows:

WRN 18.5psi
DRO 100%
OFS 89%
RSP 37%
OPT 14psi

Hopefully this will be useful to others..
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

4th and 5th gears tend to hold a higher boost for a reason I cannot remember. 1st gear is a blur, 2nd booting it out of a 30 zone was always hilarious but booting it in 4th from a 30 was just plain silly. Pulls slowly at first then the boost starts to build and then it's just creamy smooth pull til er the speed limit officer :mrgreen: :twisted:

I miss my turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

leave it as it is. There's more load in 4th-5th so you will end up with a bit more boost. As long as it's holding steady and you don't have bad boost spikes it'll be fine :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”