[Mk2] [NA] Alternator... again!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

[Mk2] [NA] Alternator... again!

Post by Racer7 »

So I broke down in London two days before Christmas with the familiar (to me) Christmas tree dashboard and my stereo going loopy.

Experience tells me the alternator has gone and indeed the call out service confirmed that.

On inspection though I notice that the belt is still fine and the unit spins freely. I have read that sometimes the regulator is the thing that gets messed up.

I was wondering how easy is it to source and fit a new regulator? I ask as I only fitted this from TCBparts a few years ago. It's seen less than 1500miles!

In terms of prolonging the life of the alternator is the plan to not take the car out in the rain? Seems the NA engine lid vents are open right above the alternator. I'm thinking this might be part of my problem.

Any Greater London/London garage recommendations would be good too as I now need to get the car towed.
pbmr2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Alternator... again!

Post by pbmr2 »

my NA has done 9k this year in all weather and the replacement alternator is still going strong.

The last car was 3 years on the the stock (original) alternator and althrough it lived in a garage overnight, it was driven in all weather and covered about 20k in the 3 years.

sometimes the rebuilds are not the best. you can get the regulator as a part, there used to be a guy on ebay selling just the internal replacement bits.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

pbmr2 wrote:my NA has done 9k this year in all weather and the replacement alternator is still going strong.

The last car was 3 years on the the stock (original) alternator and althrough it lived in a garage overnight, it was driven in all weather and covered about 20k in the 3 years.

sometimes the rebuilds are not the best. you can get the regulator as a part, there used to be a guy on ebay selling just the internal replacement bits.

Thanks for the info. I did think it was particularly short lived. It's a vectron unit.

I was starting to think that maybe a drip drip from condensation on my metal roof garage might have exacerbated things.

I forgot to ask with regards to the regulator. Presumably still thr same amount of labour as swapping in a whole new unit?

Oh one more related thing. How far can one drive on just battery alone? Wipers, lights and other electrical draining things minimised of course. Need to use my car for a few 3mile trips (total round trip) since the car technical runs i was thinking of driving on just the battery. Then charging with my ctek mains chrger.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Before condemning the alt itself check the wiring to it. Common problem is the alt sense wire, black and yellow iirc. If you Google testing the alt wires there is plenty of info out there about how to and which wires etc.

As for the alt itself, have you considered removing it yourself? Not too difficult a job on an n/a with a few basic tools. You could then take it to a rebuilder for testing and remedial work if needed. Last one I got rebuilt cost me £60.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

abovetherim wrote:Before condemning the alt itself check the wiring to it. Common problem is the alt sense wire, black and yellow iirc. If you Google testing the alt wires there is plenty of info out there about how to and which wires etc.

As for the alt itself, have you considered removing it yourself? Not too difficult a job on an n/a with a few basic tools. You could then take it to a rebuilder for testing and remedial work if needed. Last one I got rebuilt cost me £60.

I'm guessing what might have been the issue is the condensation dripping right on the engine bay in my garage that has done something to it.

Since it was only fitted a few years ago I guess I could conceivably try - the first time it went I think it was the original and Luke at PW needed a 1metre breaker bar and the car way up on the ramps to get enough force to loosen the nut. This is what I'm worried about in terms of trying it myself.

Return to “Electrical”