[Mk2] [Turbo] Help With passenger footwell connectors

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help With passenger footwell connectors

Post by Pauln »

I've just removed the old passenger door wiring loom, and pulled through a new loom for folding mirrors. It was a bit of a struggle getting the loom into the passenger foot well past all the other cables, as a result I've now got an additional gray coloured connector dangling, which I don't remember before. It's the large connector on the left.

So is this a spare connector I've just disturbed, or one I've some how managed to disconnect during my struggles. I've not connected everything backup in the door yet, rain stopped play, but the car seems to start OK, and all the lights, heater, radio seem to be OK. Given the large number of wires in this connector, my gut feeling is that a lot of the electrics ought not to work if it's important, which so far doesn't seem to be the case, unless it's linked to passenger door functions.

So I just thought I'd ask if anyone recognizes it, before going any further tomorrow.

Thanks

Paul
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help With passenger footwell connectors

Post by shinny »

That looks like IE1, which is one of the main connectors between the front and back of the car, but carrying ancillary things rather than things that run the engine.

Things running through there includes speedo input to the ECU (purple/white - the car will eventually go into limp mode without it), the idle-up signal for taillight / rear fogger (black), the CEL (green/white), A/C activation (black/white), tail lights (green), brake lights (green/white), rear turn signals (green/black, green/yellow) etc...

I'm sure the engine starts and runs, but a pile of stuff won't be working
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks for the reply mate. I must admit that given the number of wires if it had become unplugged I felt there ought to be an awful lot of stuff not working.

But I'm a bit confused about what you mean by the idle-up signal for tail lights rear fogger.

I've just checked the tail lights, brake lights, fog lights, number plate lights, and indicators and all are working fine.

The aircon also seems to be working OK as the temp of the air coming out the vents on cold setting certainly seemed to drop when I switched on the air con, and the engine idle speed increased as expected.

I've never really used the rear window defogger, so I'm not sure whether you should be able to feel the window getting warm, but again the engine idled up when switched on, presumably because of the increased electrical load at idle.

I also checked what was happening engine wise with ToyoBD1, no error codes were displayed and everything looked about right. So I took the car around the block and the speed readout on the ToyoBD1 looked pretty close to what the speedo was indicating. I assume that that means that the ECU is getting the correct speed reading?

I'll try and take another look around in the footwell too see if there's a socket somewhere missing a plug. I guess I could also take the glove box out to check behind that, if it's no too much of as faff.

But at the moment it's all a bit confusing.

Just to add insult to injury, I found that the speaker cables in the replacement door harness had a break that caused the speaker to die as soon as you closed the door. More blood sweat and tears to pull two new cables through the rubber pipe between car body and door. Even with cable puller flat spring it wasn't easy. Some days you wonder why you even started an upgrade :D

Paul
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

OK. I've now removed the glove box to improve access when looking for a lonely connector. At first I thought I'd spotted an obvious candidate, a gray connector at the top of the picture.

But when I looked closer the gray connector hanging at the bottom by the door has more pins than the one at the top, and looks like a slightly different pin layout. I'm also not sure whether the bottom cable would actually stretch even if re-routed.

I've had a pretty good look around, and can't see anything else that looks like it's missing a plug.

The main loom running up the passenger door wall doesn't appear to have a connector and seems to go0 straight through the firewall into the frunk.

So I'm rapidly coming around to thinking this is just a spare connector for an option that isn't fitted on my car, perhaps traction control or something??

Any further thoughts?

Paul

Return to “Electrical”