Radiator/abs help needed

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Geoff

Radiator/abs help needed

Post by Geoff »

Hi all, bit of a long shot but worth a go I guess. I have two issues with my mk2 at the moment, a leaky radiator and an abs sensor. For two pretty simple problems I'm a bit stuck. The mot isn't until April but I wanted to try and get both problems sorted. Problem is the fog light screws are bu88ered and I've read that's the only way to get the bumper off, and abs sensors are mad money so I had planned on buying a hub with a working sensor. After speaking to the garage I can't be quoted a price as both depend how difficult the job ends up being.

So I was wondering if there are any members local to me (bournemouth) who has experience with either of these issues that would be willing to help me out. I would obviously give some beer money to anyone who helped but just trying to save potentially hundreds on labour costs if there are members who have the know how and don't mind helping.

Geoff
pbmr2

Re: Radiator/abs help needed

Post by pbmr2 »

The bumper does not need to come off to change the rad. Leave it be. The rad comes out the bottom, so just the undertrays to worry about, which often have bolts that snap. Doesn't stop changing the rad but means drilling and tapping the holes again if you want the undertrays back on there. Sometimes they are ok.

ABS is a git. The cold fact is the sensors are expensive. you could get another hub with a working sensor, that's fairly simple to swap over and the wiring is a single plug. No biggie really and possible to do DIY.

If replacing, getting the old sensor out is a pain as they stick in there, it won't come out in one piece. The new one goes in fairly easy.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Oh ok thanks, that makes things a bit more simple, definitely with the rad anyway. I've been told the hubs usually offer some issues when changing over, I'm definitely no expert so perhaps will still have to find some help for that. I'll have a look under the car over the weekend and see what state the under tray bolts are like.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

is it a front or rear abs sensor that is dead?

either way it's just steering arm or track control arm, shock, take the caliper off without undoing the hose (cable tie it to the shock), lower ball joint (either one big bolt or 2 small ones, which ever you prefer. That's it, except at the rear where you have the hub nut and the driveshaft to remove also.

It's really basic nuts and bolt stuff. a ball joint splitter (the proper screw type not the thump type) is about the only non socket tool you need. they are about 20quid.

Anyone who has ever worked on a car should be able to do the job. the abs wire is held on by some tiny 10mm bolts and the plus is inside the engine bay or frunk, pull it out with the rubber grommet. proper simple stuff.

changing the sensor is a bit more of a pain. but the hub will prob have to come off for access anyway.
rgb

Post by rgb »

are you sure the sensor is no good . have you tried reseting the codes it might be a bad connection , once the abs light comes on it stays on
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

It's been a while since I had to checked so can't 100% remember, pretty sure it was a rear but I'll need to have a word with the garage. Sounds fairly straight forward then, I also spoke to mr2 Ben to see if he could supply the hub/abs and he agreed it was pretty simple to do. And yes sensor definitely needs replacing, the light was intermittent when we had the very hot period in the summer but it's always on now.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”