Water ingress into frunk and boot

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Water ingress into frunk and boot

Post by Mike »

Hi folks, I'm getting significant water ingress in both the frunk and the boot of my car. Even if the car is outside parked up in heavy rain it leaks. I can't see any obvious points where water could be getting through, I'm thinking maybe the seals need replacing. Anyone had this problem?
shinny

Re: Water ingress into frunk and boot

Post by shinny »

Spoiler bolt holes (and thus the rubber hole un the underside of the spoiler) and antenna drain pipe (is if poked through the grommet in the book floor) are both places to check too. If it only happened when driven, I would check the seams onto the arch, they're notorious for rotting through.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

at the front it's normally nice and dry in there, but let the local hand carwash place have a go and they chucked a bucket of water over the car, the frunk had water in it after that. only place I could see was the seals as they were a bit squashed. think the amount of water overfilled the drains around the outside of the opening.

at the rear all the above are issue but also had the rear lights leak.. the water goes past the rubber and exits above the rear lights. water on one of my cars was getting back in from there.

Also the rear boot hinges, if it's been off they can let water past. and any alarm sensors are normally really badly fitted and let in water with ease.

good luck
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I've been trying to find my boot leak for a few years now. I've cleaned up the rubber seals and used silicone spray to refresh them a little. I've tried taking all of the boot lining out and spraying it with a hose pipe but nothing seems to get in when I try.

I wonder if making a line with some chalk may help see where the ingress point is.

In the fronk and boot I ended up cleaning it all up and painting it with an epoxy to help protect it.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Builders merchants buy chalk dust blue ( used for chalk lines £5) blow the power all round the boot then wait... The dust will leave a drip /run marks once it get wet and track it to the leak. Once done a wet cloth easy removes the left over chalk :thumleft:

Hope it helps rich
androo007

Post by androo007 »

That's a smart trick!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”