[Mk2] [Turbo] real BAD misfire

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ralliart

[Mk2] [Turbo] real BAD misfire

Post by Ralliart »

following on from my earlier post - just approached motorway and the car had a slight misfire at 4k rpm so thought it would be ok to drive me home 20 miles.

Did about 5 miles and it got worse. So much so that when applying a little bit of acceleration the car was spluttering / misifiring really bad and couldnt do more than 30 mph.

Managed to crawl off the motorway and drove steadly home. Full foot to the floor on idle and it goes up to 2500 rpm and then splutters and revs drop down then try going up VERY slowly to 2k all the time spluttering / misfiring :cry: poorly mr2 :(
2barGee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] real BAD misfire

Post by 2barGee »

Ralliart wrote:following on from my earlier post - just approached motorway and the car had a slight misfire at 4k rpm so thought it would be ok to drive me home 20 miles.

Did about 5 miles and it got worse. So much so that when applying a little bit of acceleration the car was spluttering / misifiring really bad and couldnt do more than 30 mph.

Managed to crawl off the motorway and drove steadly home. Full foot to the floor on idle and it goes up to 2500 rpm and then splutters and revs drop down then try going up VERY slowly to 2k all the time spluttering / misfiring :cry: poorly mr2 :(

Check Plugs / Dizzy cap /rotor arm. When were they all last changed?

Worst case it's your ignition leads as they're more expensive.

Also something to check.....is there any water getting into the dizzy cap?

Are you getting an engine light come on when it's hitting 2k and spluttering?
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Thanks fotr the reply. The dizzy cap / plugs are about 5 years old but not driven much at all [ less than 100 miles been stood up] No engine lights coming on.
craig

Post by craig »

The coil casing is prone to cracking and letting moisture in. One to check.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Ralliart wrote:Thanks fotr the reply. The dizzy cap / plugs are about 5 years old but not driven much at all [ less than 100 miles been stood up] No engine lights coming on.

Looks like ht leads then.

Maybe try and find a local person with a mr2 and swap parts over to diagnose the problem.

Nothing worse than replace parts that are actually fine :lol:
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Thanks will have a look this weekend.

2bar - Exactly that :)
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

I didnt get chance myself to do any further investigation so got a friend to take it to his garage so I have somewhere dry and warm to have a look. However on the way to his he stated it was spitting flames when I was getting upto around 3k rpm.

When I originally started it up from cold it sounds and idled fine. Did 8 miles in it at 60mph not planting my foot and seemed all ok.

As soon as we got to his place I thought i'd floor it a bit to see what happens and it started spitting / spluttering and when it did this there was bits flames / spartks coming out of the exhaust. A few moments later and then it was thesame in that struggles to go over 2500 rpm and as soon as you accelerate it was misifiring :oops:

Return to “Mechanical”