Dropping rear subframe

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Dropping rear subframe

Post by Ryan S »

Long story short I had to put subframe on quick to move the car out of my old garage. In my haste I've completely forgotten that I needed to attach the anti roll bar prior to fitting the subframe. Now the car is just about finished i remember i need to fit the anti roll bar. Is there a way to just lower the subframe rather than remove it? The exhaust etc is already bolted to it and in all honesty I'm tempted to just leave it off till i have access to a proper two post ramp rather than do it on the driveway.

Any info or links to guides etc welcome. So annoying as I literally just need about an inch to get the new brackets on :(
rgb

Re: Dropping rear subframe

Post by rgb »

when you put new arb bushes in you can lower the sub frame by leaving the middle bolts only just threaded in and theres just enough room to get them in . not sure about the whole bar but youll figure it out
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rgb wrote:when you put new arb bushes in you can lower the sub frame by leaving the middle bolts only just threaded in and theres just enough room to get them in . not sure about the whole bar but youll figure it out

Yeah i've just talked to a friend about it, The bar isn't an issue, i just need to get the bolts in on top of the subframe, if i can lower it 1 inch then i'll be fine. Gonna give it a bash tomorrow. If it is too much of a pain I'll just hang fire till I can get it on ramps. It does sound easy enough though going by what my friend has said :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

i had to do this when uprating my arb to poly's.... id obviously put the engine and exhaust all back in before realising i needed to drop the sub frame again.

i ended up undoing all of the bolts entirely, but used a trolley jack underneath the subframe taking all the weight.

i then got the arb slid in so its definitely possible. and i did it by myself.

so you should be all good mate :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It'll be OK as long as you have already ensured all the fasteners are OK. They have a nasty habit of corroding and then failing on removal!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:It'll be OK as long as you have already ensured all the fasteners are OK. They have a nasty habit of corroding and then failing on removal!

ahh yes,

i replaced both of mine:

https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/580
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The fasteners are brand new thankfully, is it a m8 bolt i need on top of there yeah? It's been 4 years since i removed the subframe!!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:The fasteners are brand new thankfully, is it a m8 bolt i need on top of there yeah? It's been 4 years since i removed the subframe!!

cant honestly remember, i used this guide though:

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engin ... GTE-06.htm
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rossonza wrote:
Ryan S wrote:The fasteners are brand new thankfully, is it a m8 bolt i need on top of there yeah? It's been 4 years since i removed the subframe!!

cant honestly remember, i used this guide though:

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engin ... GTE-06.htm

Thanks for that mate, never had a chance today as it's pouring down :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”