Flare Holder Removal - solved

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

Flare Holder Removal - solved

Post by Pauln »

OK, I must be missing something really obvious, but for the life of me I can't see how to remove the flare holder from the passenger well trim panel, short of breaking it.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Re: Flare Holder Removal

Post by craig »

Pauln wrote:OK, I must be missing something really obvious, but for the life of me I can't see how to remove the flare holder from the passenger well trim panel, short of breaking it.

Paul

Flare holder and sill trim is all one piece.

Pop clips along the sill, deep hidden plastic nut at front end. Back requires speaker cover removing as this sits over the top of the sill trim.
Pauln

Re: Flare Holder Removal - solved

Post by Pauln »

That's a drag, as I wanted to swap the clip over to new trim piece I bought. time for a bit of lateral thinking.

Paul
craig

Post by craig »

Pauln wrote:That's a drag, as I wanted to swap the clip over to new trim piece I bought. time for a bit of lateral thinking.

Paul

From memory the piece holding the flare bracket is plastic welded and renown for snapping off.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Success. The flare holder does in fact clip into the trim panel. The clue came when I found a holder advertised for sale in Japan. Here's what it looks like.

It's actually the hook on the right hand side of the clip that holds it in place. If you look on the rear of the rim panel you can see the bottom of the hole is very different to the top and has a lip and then is recessed.

It's that lip that the hook end on the right of the clip lock onto that stops you being able to slide the clip upwards to release. Careful use of a small screwdriver released that hook and allowed me to slide the holder out. Fitting is the reverse. You just drop the clip into place from the front and then slide it downwards until the clip locks with a satisfying click. Job done.

So now all I need is a second clip, as there was only one clip in the old panel, and you can see where the hold has been butchered at some point.

So if anyone has a spare clip, please let me know, as I really don't want to spend a fortune ordering this from Japan.

Paul

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”