Which coolant?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Which coolant?

Post by HighwayStar »

Evening all.
The g/f is off for the w/e to Oxfordshire. I've just checked her pressures and fluids etc and her coolant level is just below the 'LOW' level.
All I currently have available is some Carplan Premium Anti freeze and Coolant. It says on the bottle it's ethylene glycol based and incorporates organic acid technology but thought I'd check with you guys that it's a reasonable substitute for the genuine Toyota stuff. Sound OK to me but as it's not my car I just thought I'd check before I pour some in.

Cheers

R
Ekona

Re: Which coolant?

Post by Ekona »

Fill it up with some deionised water, then grab a proper bottle of Toyota red after she gets back.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Forlife is in it.use that.
RST

Post by RST »

4Life went out a good while back -they call it Long Life now, it's pretty much no different than red coolant from the likes of Halfords or the factors.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Sorry to drag an old thread up, didn't think it was worth starting a new one for the same topic.

Having just replaced my radiator I'm looking to fill up with fresh coolant. What are your thoughts on using the below?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_866

I have heard mixed opinions regarding coolants but I cannot figure out what could be so different between what I have been using and the genuine Toyota item. A brief Google search didn't find me anything about the formulation of Forlife.

Anyone able to offer advice on this at all?

Cheers :thumleft:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

There's two kinds of coolant, red/pink and blue/green. It's probably okay to mix as long as you stick to the correct colour.

For what a bottle of proper Toyota stuff costs, I'd just put that in to be sure.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

FWIW, I just used Halfords 'advanced' coolant in my Roadster - just because its more convenient to pick up than my local dealer. Its Red as well, just like Forlife ...
jnoiles

Post by jnoiles »

Ekona wrote:For what a bottle of proper Toyota stuff costs, I'd just put that in to be sure.

Genuine question, why? What does Toyota know about keeping ally cold that everyone else doesn't?
jason256

Post by jason256 »

I use concentrate millers which is £17 for 5L. I then add deionised water which you can get online in bulk for about £0.25/L. I mix it at 1/3 coolant (good for -20c) as our winters aren't very cold and water is a better coolant for heat capacity and transfer (it just causes corrosion and freezes by itself).

So that's £19.50 for 15L of mixed coolant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils ... :rk:2:pf:0
Chemolaaa

Post by Chemolaaa »

ok good

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”