Gearing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Skinner248

Gearing

Post by Skinner248 »

Hi im interested in changing the final drive of my gearbox (crown wheel) i have read that standard it 4.2 and that a toyota camry v6 is 3.9 does anybody know it it will fit i to a mr2 turbo gearbox?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Gearing

Post by toxo »

I think you want the final drive from a Celica GT4, which is still a 3.9 final drive. It's been done before:

Century Motorsport wrote:Just to clear up the confusion, Scott had the longer final drive fitted - all the gears are std.

The final drive mod consists of a Crown wheel, pinion & oil pump gear. This will effectively lengthen each gear - Ryan's terms of the crank gear being on a push bike being the final drive and the gears on the rear wheel being the gears is a good way to think about it :)

forums/viewtopic.php?t=135158
forums/viewtopic.php?t=135421

Unfortunately all the other threads are locked away in places you can't see them as the work was done by an affiliate who isn't affiliated anymore.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Skinner248

Post by Skinner248 »

Excellent thanks for your help :thumleft:🏼
Skinner248

Post by Skinner248 »

Excellent thanks for your help :thumleft:🏼
kirk

Post by kirk »

It's an interesting idea but I can't help but feel on a stock engine/turbo it wouldn't be very beneficial for anything other than motorway cruising.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I believe Paul woods at woodsport has done some work on the final drive changes. Believe there was even a write up on it.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I had a 3.933 FD fitted to an e153, it produces a 9% taller box across all gears. You can also (though it's rarer) fit a 3.6 Final Drive for an 18% taller box.

Neither are common, or cheap if you're buying new and if you're not a gearbox person you'll need to find someone to transplant them.

Unless you're running a high HP/Torque engine you're unlikely to really benefit from them. The V6 engines suit them because they're generally a bit torquier but also have a lower rev limiter where the taller gearing helps.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”