Motivation/ now need help please

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmomr2

Re: Motivation/ now need help please

Post by timmomr2 »

Also I have been checking through some previous posts and came across one directing me to this website https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/catalogsea ... 7e&x=0&y=0

I know I need BK7RE plugs. And thing I need to run 1 grade colder as I'tge car is set to about 17psi on stock Rev 3 turbo. But which ones? £3 a go seems to good to be true?
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

timmomr2 wrote:Also I have been checking through some previous posts and came across one directing me to this website https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/catalogsea ... 7e&x=0&y=0

I know I need BK7RE plugs. And thing I need to run 1 grade colder as I'tge car is set to about 17psi on stock Rev 3 turbo. But which ones? £3 a go seems to good to be true?

the plugs are really common, used on a lot hence the price. i too was worried coming from spending £18 a plug on my last car.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

Image[/img]

Cars gone to the garage today hopefully to be back out and on the road in a couple of weeks :) just need to find the gremlin that's stopping it from running properly.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

Evening all,

So the saga continues with trying to get this back on the road.

After about 6 weeks at the garage it not skipped a beat, been driven, passed an MOT test left running for ages and been fine.

I go to pick the car up today and surprise surprise it wasn't meant to be. My intermittent recurring fault came back just as I was about to collect it.

So again the car decides that it's going to run super super rich at idol almost cutting out. When you keep your foot on the accelerator the car kicks a ton off fuel out of the back and limits at 3600 RPM.

Jake the guy working on my car started to in plug sensors to see where the fault could be occurring from and nothing altered the way the car ran. He started to get fairs showing on the dash and flashing. So he then plugged in his diagnostic machine to read them and nothing had stored, he also bridged the relevant pins for the car to self diagnose and again no faults.

Our/his conclusion is that the ECU can't see when something is going wrong which means the fault and can't speak to the diagnostic machine suggesting the fault lies with the ECU.

Does anyone else agree or have any other suggestions?

Thanks
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Have you opened up the ECU and carefully inspected the board for blown out leaky capacitors? Really affects older MR2s and blue even the rev 3 is at the age of experiencing these issues. Give it a check. Car looks awesome
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

He did open up the ECU and check for me but there was no evidence of any damage or leaks but we seem to have run out of options. I did change the coil pack when the problem first started as that's the fault code I had at the time (5 years ago) but the problem didn't go away, we're wondering if that was faulty and caused a short back to the ECU and fried something?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”