[Mk2] [Turbo] Alternator - How to ?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ralliart

[Mk2] [Turbo] Alternator - How to ?

Post by Ralliart »

After succesfully replacing a leaky rocker gasket and servicing the car myself :clap: [thanks to the advice on this site and a few guides] I now need to change the alternator on my MR2 turbo and was wondering as a novice is it worth attempting or leave it to the local garage to do.

Is there are how 2 anywhere that shows the pricess,
Cheers
killerferret666

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Alternator - How to ?

Post by killerferret666 »

Although my engine is in a kit car, I found it easy.

1. Disconnect battery, pull out plug from alternator, undo nut and remove 2nd cable from alternator

2. undo bolt on top of alternator that holds it in the tensioning bracket/ bolt. take it fully off and out.

3. Loosen bolt on bottom of alternator, the alternator will now rotate, rotate forward to remove belt.

4. Take out bottom bolt and wiggle like crazy to remove.

Then just reverse, I would have some sandpaper just to clean up the bottom pivot mount as it can be tight so will help remove any build up there.

I understand access from underneath makes it easier. I obviously dont have an access problem and the removal took me 15mins.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

On an MR2 Turbo, easiest way is to remove the exhaust B pipe (downpipe to backbox). In fact that's what the BGB says to do. Some aftermarket systems may be different, depends on exhaust routing. Most follow a similar path to OEM though.

With the exhaust out of the way, there is enough room to squeeze the alternator out between the block / driveshaft and subframe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dpUp ... sp=sharing

Out of the top is possible on an NA by removing the bracket as well, not sure on a turbo.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

killerferret666 wrote:

Then just reverse, I would have some sandpaper just to clean up the bottom pivot mount as it can be tight so will help remove any build up there.

This is because there's a bushing in one side, if you push the bushing out a little it will slot right in. The bushing will compress in again when you tighten the bolt :thumleft:
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
killerferret666 wrote:

This is because there's a bushing in one side, if you push the bushing out a little it will slot right in. The bushing will compress in again when you tighten the bolt :thumleft:

I could of really done with this info before :lol:
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's not obvious when the bracket is invariably covered in dirt and grease!
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

May attempt it this weekend weather dependant. Although it may be my battery thats playing up. Need to confirm it eitherway.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
killerferret666 wrote:

That bush can corrode behind the collar causing it to expand and hold the alternator in place - and making it near impossible to put the replacement alternator in place.

I'd suggest once you have the alternator out to remove the bracket, drift that bushing out and replace it.

Return to “Electrical”