Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by androo007 »

Well, she's back!

All done and dusted. A very comprehensive map, very impressed. The car drives like it's OEM in terms of behaviour. No cold start hot start nonsense, no weird part throttle behaviour etc. Tom H has really worked well on that.

It's mapped at 1.6 bar and has a lot of drama on boost. The screamer pipe is awesome and although the gt35 frame is relatively laggy, the magic of building up the boost then launching off really does give it a special feel. I daily a mapped 335i and whilst it's quick, and always on boost its incredibly boring. Flat torque line and just a constant increase in speed. Very meh. That's what I love about the MR2, it's a real driving experience.

And I guess, well, that brings me to the end. My mind is made up; I really want the caterham. Unfortunately for my girlfriend this is always the way... Complete something spend loads and move on :lol: (she was fond of the bathroom in the last house) but for me I'm ready for the next challenge.

Whilst at Fensport the car had some other correctional bits done so there really is nothing left to do.

It even had a brand new MOT, oil, plugs and coolant too!

I thought this would be a good post to summarise everything I've done on the car over the last 3-4 years. Or at least, its final incarnation. Pretty huge, considoring I got it 100% stock!

1994 MR2 GTS - "Tina"

Engine:

* Rev 2 block (chosen for increased chances of better casting) bored to 86.5mm
* Wossner 8.0:1 low compression pistons
* Eagle forged rods
* ACL race bearings throughout
* ARP head studs
* GSC S1 268 cams
* HKS valve springs
* ATS adjustable cam gears
* Custom 4" K&N huge air intake
* 1000hp rated charge cooler system, custom fabricated
* GENUINE HKS BOV - not a fake!
* Coil on Plug (COP) conversation - running 1ZZ coils with RacerX securing plate for improved spark.
* Ported, planed and polished exhaust manifold to stage 1+
* GT3582 (0.82) turbo running a GTX billet wheel
* Tial 38mm wastegate and screamer pipe (sounds amazing)
* 3" downpipe leading to the super good flowing 3" Japspeed exhaust.

Fuelling:

* Walbro 255lph pump
* ID1000 injectors
* RacerX fuel rail
* AEM 1:1 FPR
* New tank back fuel lines
* AEM water meth injection system. Installed, setup and ready to use for hot days. Not mapped in for daily use. Very tidy install.

ECU:

* Link G4+
* Link CAN BUS wideband sensor. Fully installed and utilises partial throttle trimming, monitoring and safety aids. Lots of people don't run this and it's imperative!
* MSD Tach Adaptor
* 4 bar map sensor
* High speed IAT sensor

Transmission, Wheels & Suspension:

* Standard E153 turbo gearbox with LSD. 4th gear synchro replaced during build
* ACT HD 6 puck clutch - rated to 500fl/lb torque
* 16" Rota GTR alloys
* Yoko AD08R tyres
* Yellow Bilstein struts
* Apex upgraded prings
* Polybushed front and rear engine mounts
* CUSCO front strut brace

Cooling:

* Standard cooling system, which is proven excellent for super high power. Brand new radiator installed during build.

Other nice stuff:

* Alan Bryson triple gauge centre panel
* STACK gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, boost)
* Rev 1 black interior
* Toad Cat 1 alarm
* MK3 MR2 steering wheel
* Clear front lights
* Hydraulic engine lid stay

Well I'm sure I've probably forgotten stuff and will have to keep editing but wow. It's really been a learning curve along the way. For anyone interested, I'll be asking £9.5k for the car. And believe me.... That's a hefty saving and bargain for someone!

I've seen, interestingly a few forged ones come up recently for similar money. It's very easy to see odd things. An incomplete picture, or damn right exaggeration! All learnt myself the hard way I guess.

Last edited by androo007 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you cannot sell it man, You 'll get the "itch" in 2-3 months. Do not do it!!!! Caterahams are fun etc but they are just that. A bit of fun, You've invested waaaaay too much into this :( If you are totally certain you're gonna sell up then do not budge from £9k. It truly is a bargain!! Just as a wee side note, get yourself a bike, The caterham itch will soon die off!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

wasnt this originally mapped by predator performance? Why wasnt the map any good?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

almeida1234

Post by almeida1234 »

You crazy mofo
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Just read back through all your thread. Serious build, fantastic that you got all the issies sorted in the end.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Listen to Ryan, Don't sell it... I regret breaking the mule (still have half the car though) however that was done as she needed sills, clutch and turbo rebuild, you're car needs nothing.
How much money have you put into her ? Wrap her up for the winter and see how you feel next march, give it until may and if you still feel the same then by all means sell, just don't do it on completion, that's just wrong on so many levels :(
fastasfkk

mr2

Post by fastasfkk »

some 1s getting a real bargain lots of spec small price :cry:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks guys.

Martin I don't really like saying how much 😂 but anyone who's built an engine knows how much it costs and it's a bloody lot haha!

Whilst it was out today I decided to go for a country blast. Driving back on the motorway seemed a bit more subdued, as it would I guess. But today it absolutely scared the pants off me! As it's already building boost at 4k screaming country roads soon get eaten up in seconds.

I didn't realise how much I was holding the wheel but it was enough to make me laugh out loud. Ace.

I've been looking at the bike engined kit cars as id LOVE a bike but banned by family.

I'm not striking off the idea of seeing if i could even get a 5sgte in one.....

8)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Get a bike, you won't regret it.. people always use the 'mrs won't let me have one' or 'i'd kill myself because I already drive too fast' excuses but I've found I'm more observant, calculated and risk averse on my bike than I ever was/am in a car

And there's the bonus that for the cost of a half decent MR2 you can get a bike that is 'recalibrate your brain' fast and will give you a bigger adrenaline rush than all but the most insane cars ever will.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Don't sell it mate...
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

100% keep it. No point doing what you've just done to just sell it instantly.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Hate to sound like an echo, but don't sell :D
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Well guys, she's gone. Gone but still here.... Dan has bought her and now has a new home up northish.

It's been a great 4 years, and I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if it wasn't for the IMOC community. I've made some good friends along he way that I'll continue to see & speak to, and had some real good eggs help me out on here.

It's a shame forums are dying in favour of the quick fire Facebook channels because you can never beat a forum family.

I've got some spare bits I know I'll need to dig out and sell, including a 98+ 5s block and crank, rev 5 NA (strengthened corner) blocks, stock wheels and other odds and sods to help towards the westfield fund.

Anyway, happy it's gone to a good guy and within the community and will continue to make it even better and fresher, but sad this journey has ended.

Who's betting I'm looking for an MR2 to buy within a month?

:lol:
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Nice to meet you today Andy. The car really is a credit to you and the engine is certainly impressive. Very smooth. Safely tucked up in my garage now. :thumleft:
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Andy or Dan, i was just looking at the engine bay photos and can't see any bov. Where is it :shock:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I ran it for a while without one, which was fine. But I decided that actually I didnt like the sound so had a genuine HKS bov welded in on the piping :thumleft:
bob mon

mr2

Post by bob mon »

just read through all this, is the car still around as I just checked the reg on DVLA website and nothing came up, I would have thought it was a well known car with all that BHP and the amount of work its had done
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Something I couldn't get my head around is how the hell to you fill up the CC core? There's no filler neck.
s. jones

chargecooler

Post by s. jones »

Ryan S wrote:Something I couldn't get my head around is how the hell to you fill up the CC core? There's no filler neck.
the filler neck can be seen in the bottom corner of the first of the above engine pics on this page, the filler cap is marked Radtec

Return to “Member Profiles”