Alternator Lock Bolt Weirdness

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Alternator Lock Bolt Weirdness

Post by toxo »

I'm doing some work on a rev4 NA engined car. It was supplied in bits so I'm reassembling and I've got to the alternator. The adjuster mechanism and pivot bolt were supplied but the lock bolt was not, so I ordered 90119-08850 from Toyota - it's a weird bolt with a really long head. I remembered it being weird, which is why I ordered it in. Looks to me like it's an M8 fine pitch bolt.

Problem is it doesn't fit the alternator! It's like the alt thread is M10. I'm not aware of any MR2s having different sized lock bolts, and the EPC seems to agree with me. So I suspect I either have an alternator from another car, it's an aftermarket one with a different size thread, or the thread in it is knackered. I'll take it off the car tomorrow to check but I wondered if anyone else has come across this before?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Alternator Lock Bolt Weirdness

Post by toxo »

In case anyone was interested it's a pretty simple explanation. The alternator that was supplied with the car is from an ST202 Celica so the lock bolt chamber isn't threaded.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

toxo wrote:In case anyone was interested it's a pretty simple explanation. The alternator that was supplied with the car is from an ST202 Celica so the lock bolt chamber isn't threaded.

I still read here once in a while, so was watching the thread.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

aussieGT wrote:
toxo wrote:In case anyone was interested it's a pretty simple explanation. The alternator that was supplied with the car is from an ST202 Celica so the lock bolt chamber isn't threaded.

I still read here once in a while, so was watching the thread.

Well that's reassuring. And now you know!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'm now heading into interesting territory - I think this NA might have an E153 :shock:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

toxo wrote:I'm now heading into interesting territory - I think this NA might have an E153 :shock:

I know a couple people who have done this. Giveaways will be the oil cooler loop on the transmission (just a U shaped pipe on an MR2 usually as we don't have a trans cooler), this bit on the selector shaft being bolt on rather than cast:

and it should also have turbo driveshafts, which should be obvious because they'll have the support bearing bolted to the block (NA's don't) and it'll have the bolted type CV's:

Na ones are like this:

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yeah, I'm aware of all of that, unfortunately I'm nowhere near the car at the moment. All I've got to go on is a photo of the shifter assembly from the front, and the fact that it has a blue slave cylinder.

I'm going to head over there after I finish work and find out once and for all.

The driveshafts are currently in bags in the passenger footwell, apart from the outer CV which is still in the hub. The engine in the car is not the engine that was in it when it was running so while the driveshaft may have the bearing on it, the bracket to hold it won't be on the block.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Hi,

I've got a spare rev4 alternator that has the locking bolt. I'll gladly pull the bolt out and post it your way for a modest offer.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”