Rattle from head for 1 - 2 seconds after start-up

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Juliuswws

Rattle from head for 1 - 2 seconds after start-up

Post by Juliuswws »

Hi guys,

For few weeks now my REV3 Turbo rattles for 1 - 2 seconds after cold startup.
It is the very same sound when you first start the car after oil change.

My oil light goes out straight away. My genuine oil pump has a tad over 80000kms so it should be fine.
I thought it was the oil filter (Crosland L10306PS), but I changed oil a few days ago and got blueprint ADT32112, which I used many times before and haven't had this rattle.

Oil is not new to me either, Mobil1 10W40 A3

Any thoughts?

Thanks
markstevieandmads

Re: Rattle from head for 1 - 2 seconds after start-up

Post by markstevieandmads »

always use a genuine oem toyota filter. Pattern oil filters dont have the correct anti surge parts in them (i think thats what its called)
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Thanks, I think I'll try that soon, altough the blueprint has always worked well. I think there is some checkvalve (or at least supposed to be) in these ones so some oil remains in the system rather than all draining back to the sump.

Cheers
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Vote of confidence here for blueprint/ADL parts. Been using them on my rev3 turbo for the past 5 years with no problems :) would be interested to know about potential differences between the pattern and genuine part though!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

yokomomr4bx wrote:Vote of confidence here for blueprint/ADL parts. Been using them on my rev3 turbo for the past 5 years with no problems :) would be interested to know about potential differences between the pattern and genuine part though!

There is a post somewhere when someone cut up a pattern filter and a genuine and there was a difference. Cant remember what make pattern part but there was something missing. Will look later for it
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Some of the pattern filters don't have a one way valve in them compared to the OEM one. Not sure about the Toyota filters specifically.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

I'd love to see that comparison too. I might chop this up when I change it to a genuine.

Thanks for all the answers!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”